• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&j hangrade v. benchgrade

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to determine how much better the handgrades are -- is it the construction of the shoe? Or is the quality/finishing of the leather that much better? I really like the dark browns that C & J does, and I'm curious whether the dark brown burnished calf is really all that inferior to the dark brown antiqued.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Handgrade - more sophisticated last design, higher quality leather, antiquing, higher quality sole leather, channeled sole. It's all around a better shoe. The difference is, IMO, fairly dramatic.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's good to know. Thanks, Andrew. I contacted English Shoes, and he can give fairly incredible prices on the Crockett and Jones's. The price difference between handgrade and benchgrade with him is actually only about $165 US. So, I suppose it is worth it, though it will require me to wait a little bit before placing an order.

In that vein, are there any cheaper ways to find C and J handgrades? Does NM carry them (Last Call sale discount perhaps?). I rarely see them on Ebay.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's carries them. They get steeply discounted in their warehouse sales (if you get lucky).

koji

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When are their warehouse sales? Do these sales only occur at their NY store (at the Barney's warehouse on, what, 19th st.?)? How deeply discounted do they get? Should I just go with English Shoes who can get me them for $450 or so, or wait until I strike a greater deal (I don't need them immediately, mind you).

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'll have to wait until February. I picked up a pair of handgrades for just over 100$ last time though...

koji

TomW

Reaction score
That kind of pricing makes a trip to NY next February entirely reasonable.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I'll just wait then. I'll be in NYC by then anyways.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Word of caution, though...luck is a factor, and the deep discounts don't happen until the final days of the sale.

koji

Lomezz

Reaction score
Actually, there's a Barney's warehouse sale twice a year, August and February, so one should be coming up soon. Don't know exact date yet, but can find out.

I'm afraid there won't be any handgrades in the sale this summer, though. In my experience, they offer most "good" sale shoes in the store right up to the sale, and then move them to the warehouse, together with tons of Barney's label shoes.

From what I've seen in the store recently, most C&J's were gone. No handgrades for sale, and only three or four styles of benchgrade (canterbury wingtip, cukka black suede boot and sedbergh rubber sole) in odd sizes (odd for me, anyway).

Having said that, I will check the warehouse sale, since you never know what surprises might be there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads