• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&j handgrade

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am sitting in the Stockholm airport where the sun is shining for the first time in three days. Typical, sense I am flying out in about an hour. In any event, for those of you in the London area, Gordon Scott on Bond Street is having a sale on C&J handgrades. Not all models, but quite a few. I picked up a pair of rosebery's that retial for £280 for £195. Thought you might be interested.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Thanks. Â Definitely interested.
biggrin.gif
I called them up and was told the following were in the sale... Belgrave (black only): 195 GBP Clifford: 195 GBP (didn't check colour) Rosebery: 175 GBP (tan) / 195 GBP (black) Whitehall (tan only): 175 GBP Was hoping that they'd have a similar sale at the Jones Bootmakers near work - it used to be a Gordon Scott before being taken over, and has a few C&J Handgrades which are by far the best shoes there and look completely out of place against the rest of the stock - but alas, no (or not yet, anyway). Still, Bond Street isn't too far away so will try popping up this week. Â Hope they have my size...

TimelessRider

Reaction score
My catalog is out of date, and doesn't show the Clifford. Can anyone give a brief description?

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My catalog is out of date, and doesn't show the Clifford. Â Can anyone give a brief description?
Like the Downing but on last 337 - much more elegant imho. PLAL has the 03/04 catalogue online .

TimelessRider

Reaction score
Like the Downing but on last 337 - much more elegant imho. PLAL has the 03/04 catalogue online .
Ah...should have known to check PLAL. Thanks. Of the 4, I think the Belgrave is the nicest especially if it would be availble in the antique chestnut.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
I called them up and was told the following were in the sale...

Belgrave (black only): 195 GBP
Clifford: 195 GBP (didn't check colour)
Rosebery: 175 GBP (tan) / 195 GBP (black)
Whitehall (tan only): 175 GBP
You need to visit them, as that is not the case.  I purchased both Rosebery's, the Dark Brown Weymouth(£195) and the Savile(£195).  I must caveat that by saying the the Savile was not on sale, but when I complained that I was spending over £800 they should cut me a break the manager did so.  I wonder what the boys at the VAT refund desk will say when I try to collect.

BGW

Reaction score
Those prices include the VAT.?. < $300 USD for a pair of handgrades is a hell of a deal.

TKDKid

Reaction score
I called them up and was told the following were in the sale... Belgrave (black only): 195 GBP Clifford: 195 GBP (didn't check colour) Rosebery: 175 GBP (tan) / 195 GBP (black) Whitehall (tan only): 175 GBP
You need to visit them, as that is not the case.  I purchased both Rosebery's, the Dark Brown Weymouth(£195) and the Savile(£195).  I must caveat that by saying the the Savile was not on sale, but when I complained that I was spending over £800 they should cut me a break the manager did so.  I wonder what the boys at the VAT refund desk will say when I try to collect.
I visited them today and yep, you're right, they do have the Weymouth in the sale too (both black and brown). UK sizes 7 upwards - go get 'em, guys.
biggrin.gif
Unfortunately I wear size 6 and the only Handgrade they had in my size was the Downing in black, which wasn't really what I was looking for (the Belgrave), so I left empty-handed. Ah well.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone have their phone number or a web address? I'm interested in seeing if they have the Audley on sale in dark brown--and if they can ship to the USA..

Thanks.

M#4

Chilli padi

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on this. Today I bought a black pair of C&J Handgrade Belgraves for GBP195 + GBP40 for cedar shoe trees. Normally these shoes would have cost GBP300+. They didn't have many Handgrades left in my size (8E) - I was interested in a black pair of Weymouths to complement the dark brown pair I already own but they had none left in my size. The Belgraves are on the same last (337) as the Weymouths though, so they look good. They had black Cliffords in my size but I didn't like the brouging. Next stop, the Edward Green summer sale which should start in a couple of weeks.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Glad I was of help. I wonder if stores ever get surprised why there is a rush on seemingly rarely purchased shoes. The power of this forum can be surprising. But please let me know when the EG sale is. I am back home until August, which is truly amazing for me, but I can of course send someone to the Burlington Arcade for me.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on this.  Today I bought a black pair of C&J Handgrade Belgraves for GBP195 + GBP40 for cedar shoe trees.  Normally these shoes would have cost GBP300+.  They didn't have many Handgrades left in my size (8E) - I was interested in a black pair of Weymouths to complement the dark brown pair I already own but they had none left in my size.  The Belgraves are on the same last (337) as the Weymouths though, so they look good.  They had black Cliffords in my size but I didn't like the brouging.  Next stop, the Edward Green summer sale which should start in a couple of weeks.
The sales have finally started at the Jones Bootmaker near my workplace:

Jones Bootmaker
84 Old Broad Street
London
EC2M 1PR
Tel: 020 7374 2002
9.00am-6.30pm weekdays only

Popped in to have a look today and saw the following C&J models in the sale:

Weymouth (black)
Whitehall (black)
Dartmouth (teak, dark brown suede)
Lanark
Onslow (black)

Possibly others but can't remember.

The Handgrades were GBP 195, as per Gordon Scott, and the others were around GBP 140-150.

I think I saw a black Weymouth in size 8.5E but not in 8E, sorry. You can always try giving them a call to check.

Also popped into C&J at the Royal Exchange afterwards, they had three Handgrade models in their sale:

Berkeley (black semi-brogue)
Chester (black derby)
Mortimer (black monkstrap)

All GBP 220 I think, apparently they're being discontinued. There may be more - I didn't get a chance to look at the brown shoes which were kept upstairs.

HRHAndrew

Reaction score
Boy, I wish I was still in London. I would love to have picked up the Moritmer's

TKDKid

Reaction score
Aren't you happy with your Saviles?
biggrin.gif
Well, the Mortimer's on the same last as the Rosebery and you know your size for that, so why not order it over the phone? 25 Royal Exchange London EC3V 3LP Telephone: (0)20-7929-2111 Fax: (0)20-7929-0110

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads