• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Hallam, Bedford, Connaught or Wildcard?

capua

Reaction score
Since I am starting work at a downtown law firm in a student position this summer, I figured I should buy myself a second pair of black oxfords for Christmas. These will be part of my work attire and I will probably wear them every other day. I am 24 years old so I am looking for something sleek but still conservative, and these shoes will be worn with either a navy or charcoal suit. Here are my options thus far, and I don't think I can afford C&J handgrade:

C&J Hallam - my favourite so far.
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/1434.php

C&J Connaught
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/235.php

C&J Bedford
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/crockett/products/3047.php

Or....the lovely Grenson Kent, from the Rose collection. I have read that they are comparable to C&J Benchgrade.
http://www.pediwear.co.uk/grenson/products/1507.php

What are your thoughts? I have no experience with English shoes or lasts, but I want to buy a decent pair as I will be wearing them almost daily for many years. I am open to new suggestions and I apologize for the pictures offered on pediwear which look as if they have been taken by a cell phone. Thanks guys!

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Your question is really too vague. You can't go wrong with any of those selections--they are all quite comparable. Therefore it boils down to your personal taste, and what lasts might fit your foot better. For that info, a search will produce copious views on the fit of the C&Js in particular. I will say the 348 last (like the Hallam) is very narrow and long, but perhaps achieves the chiseled, elongated look that you like.

End of the day: boils down to your taste and fit.

racetrack

Reaction score
Seeing as how you're in Toronto, how will you go about determining your size?

I don't know of any C&J dealers in TO.

(just asking because I'm curious for myself)

capua

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Bugatti - you're probably right, I do like the Hallam last from what I can tell, and at the end of the day they are all quite similar. I think subconsciously I wanted someone to actually make the decision for me.

Racetrack - I'm just planning on ordering them online from pediwear. It actually works out quite favourably for us Canadian, as our dollar has been doing quite well compared to the pound sterling and we don't have to pay VAT. I am under the assumption that on C&Js the equivalent U.S. is a standard one full size larger than the U.K. size.

Pebblegrain - my other black oxfords are Bruno Magli captoes, the Maioco model. I bought them a year or so ago without doing my homework, but I do actually like them. Had I known more I probably would have bought an English shoe.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by capua
Thanks for the replies.

Bugatti - you're probably right, I do like the Hallam last from what I can tell, and at the end of the day they are all quite similar. I think subconsciously I wanted someone to actually make the decision for me.

Racetrack - I'm just planning on ordering them online from pediwear. It actually works out quite favourably for us Canadian, as our dollar has been doing quite well compared to the pound sterling and we don't have to pay VAT. I am under the assumption that on C&Js the equivalent U.S. is a standard one full size larger than the U.K. size.

Pebblegrain - my other black oxfords are Bruno Magli captoes, the Maioco model. I bought them a year or so ago without doing my homework, but I do actually like them. Had I known more I probably would have bought an English shoe.

It's seldom that simple though as the different lasts may men you only need to 1/2 size up, especially if you have a widish foot.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hallam is too pointy.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I have a pair of Tetburys on the 348. I wouldn't advise the 348 for an oxford -- so skip the Hallam.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hallam is fine if you like the style. It might look dated later but since you are young it should be fine for someone your age.

Regardless of last I would go for something more interesting like Westbourne or Edgeware

flipster

Reaction score
Have been wearing these in my rotation for a while already:

photo-11.jpg

In hindsight, I like the Hallam, but would have preferred a more rounded nose, and perhaps a less elongated last.

I am still very happy with the Tetbury and Westbourne.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by capua
I'm wondering if the Hallam will go out of style

The Hallam's chisel-toe is a little more fashion forward but it's definitely not a Kenneth Cole square toe. It will always look a little edgy but it won't go out of style. If you like the shoe go for it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads