• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Drummond, Welbeck, or Clifford

lpresq

Reaction score
Another C&J/Plal.com thread I know, but I am planning on getting one of the three shoes noted above (in Black). I am leaning toward the Drummond, but wish it was a handgrade model. Im also considering the Weymouth (in Brown) at a later date. That said, of the three models noted above, which would you go with? Please share you thoughts. Thanks!

Also, Im assuming the sizes listed on PLAL.com are UK? If so, I should order a 6.5 on the site for a 7.5 US fit, correct?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are UK sizes. In black, I'd get the Welbeck. The Clifford in my mind wants to be tan....

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree about the Clifford..

Here's some inspiration from my WAYW posts:

L1040766W.jpg

L1040741W.jpg

L1040729W.jpg

L1040691W.jpg

L1040713W.jpg

Tell me when to stop..

padronlover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do c&js from plal come with shoe trees or no?

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by padronlover
do c&js from plal come with shoe trees or no?

No, but they are available on the site.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I originally opted to not get the C&J trees..

But then I saw a set the other day & now I have 5 for my C&Js..

They may not be lasted (as there was much debate about this a few weeks ago), but they fit very well!

No pics on file - we do this w/end.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I agree about the Clifford..

Here's some inspiration from my WAYW posts:

L1040766W.jpg

L1040741W.jpg

L1040729W.jpg

L1040691W.jpg

L1040713W.jpg

Tell me when to stop..

Yep, your post confirms the Clifford must be purchased in tan! Does nobody like the Drummond? If not, why?

Omega Man

Reaction score
I like the Drummond. It is benchgrade and on the 348 last. Slightly more elongated. I like them as they looked a bit more sharp than a traditional wing tip.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a pair of Drummonds, it's a bit of an odd shoe for me. I never have a strong urge to wear them like my Tetbury's or my EG Chelseas, but after I have them on for half an hour, I'm pretty pleased with myself for wearing them. They are a handsome shoes, but maybe a little bit too stylized for me to wear regularly.

yfyf20080428recw4.jpg

yfyf20080404reml8.jpg

lpresq

Reaction score
Fwiw, I just puchased the Welbeck in black along with matching trees.....thanks again for the advice! The additional shipping cost of the non-handgrade model precluded me from purchasing the Drummond.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
They are UK sizes. In black, I'd get the Welbeck. The Clifford in my mind wants to be tan....

This is exactly the combination I have, and I think is the "natural" choice for the two styles.

The Drummond is attractive enough, but something just looks very slightly "off" about it to my eye. Not sure what, and I know lots of other people really like it, so I guess it's just an idiosyncrasy of mine.

lpresq

Reaction score
If I am able to figure out how to do so, I will post picks of the Welbecks in about 8-10 days!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holdfast
This is exactly the combination I have, and I think is the "natural" choice for the two styles.

The Drummond is attractive enough, but something just looks very slightly "off" about it to my eye. Not sure what, and I know lots of other people really like it, so I guess it's just an idiosyncrasy of mine.

I like it in theory too, but I think it wants to be a tavistock, which is better looking IMHO.

Originally Posted by lpresq
If I am able to figure out how to do so, I will post picks of the Welbecks in about 8-10 days!

Please do.

lpresq

Reaction score
Agreed...wait, what? What in the hell is a tavistock? Is it a C&J shoe or a general style like an oxford or balmo.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads