• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Connaught Alternative?

Run4TheCup

Reaction score
Am looking for something like the Connaught but in dark brown instead of chestnut. Anyone have any alternative suggestions?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Whitehall from Ben Silver (admittedly for twice the price, but it's easily twice the shoe)? Or the Audley from PLAL.

Run4TheCup

Reaction score
Thanks. Audley last doesn't work on me. I'll check out the other rec, thanks

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can handle the price, the Whitehall is my favorite stitch-cap ever. And only BS has it any more, and only Ben Silver has it in Dark Brown Antique. I thought they used to have the Connaught too, but it may have just been discontinued, and I threw out my Ben Silver shoe catalog, so I can't check my recollection

Run4TheCup

Reaction score
How is the Whitehall last compared to Connaught? Audley and Hallam are too pointy for me.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's the 330--a very classically lined round-toe last. Much closer to the 236 (the Connaught's last) than the 337.

whitehallsole-vi.jpg

Ben Silver has a good picture from above.

8739_R.jpg

It is slightly fuller, and to me eye more elegantly done, than the 236.

Balthazar

Reaction score
At a bit higher pricepoint, the Vass Old English I in dark brown boxcalf. At current exchange rates, it's a steal.

Edit: F last for the rounded toe.

Balthazar

Reaction score
For US, considering PM-ing A Harris from this board. He is one of their US reps though I have no idea what they cost if purchased this way. For purchasing online or directly from the store (they won't ship to the US) do a search on this forum. There is plenty of info.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Whitehall is in the C & J current brochure so you should be able to be order it from their Royal Exchange - London shop.

I have a pair and to me it is the classic shape for a cap toe oxford.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
The Whitehall is in the C & J current brochure so you should be able to be order it from their Royal Exchange - London shop.

That's a good point.

&Son

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acipenser

But i do not know what this means:
Disponible sur commande passÃ
00a9.png
e en magasin.

Available for order in store.

I believe.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood

Is that the Mail Order & Retail Catalogue 2008-2009?

In that, it looks like the Whitehall is only available in black (from C&J).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads