C&J coming to T&A in NYC

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bry2000, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Starting in May, Turnbull & Asser in NY will be carrying Crockett & Jones shoes. My guess is that T&A will stock a decent range of Handgrade and Benchgrade models (at a huge markup I would imagine). Now, we don't have to rely on the pitiful selection of C&J shoes at Barney's NY (I freakin' hate Barney's).

There is a close relationship between T&A and C&J -- are they owned by the same company? I know that C&J leases space from T&A for its Jermyn Street store.

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

T&A is owned by Al Fayed, no? [​IMG] Which, if it is, that is one ugly T&A shirt. Jon.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Agree on the probable markup

4. dorian

dorian Senior member

T&A and C&J are owned by the same family, the most well-known of which is that well-dressed gent who owns Harrod's. [​IMG] The side of the family that owns T&A is a little more, shall we say, low-key.

5. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that C&J is still owned by an offspring of the founder, Mr. Jones.

6. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

Big Al owns T&A. His son Jamie, works at the NYC store. I believe they also own C&J.

7. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

The Individualized Apparel Group (Oxxford, Tom James, etc.) has an one third ownership of Crockett & Jones.

I do not believe that Turnbull have any ownership interest. Turnbull's London store sold Crockett, and its NYC store used to sell Crockett under the Turnbull label.

Cheers.

8. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

And Simon Hobbs of the NY Turnbull store has a sister who works at the C&J store on Jermyn Street. (why the hell do I know these things?)

9. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

And they share the same VAT number. (Please file under the why do I know that.)

10. jerrysfriend

jerrysfriend Senior member

It is my understanding that Al Fayed owns the C&J retail shops in the Burlington Arcade and on Jermyn Street, but not C&J itself.

11. tgfny

tgfny Senior member

C&J at T&A? That's just BA.

12. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Senior member

DO any of you gusy know if Simon from T&A in New York is in a commerical with some rapper. I was watching Basketball the other night and there was a commercial with a tailor and the guy was called Simon and had the same voice as Simon at T&A.

13. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

LOL, that would be something. although i wouldnt be suprised. last month i was there for a fitting and Jay-Z dropped by to have a suit made. dont know why he would chose T&A of all places but he did. Simon replied that all these rappers are comming in for shirts and how odd we both thought it was. i didnt know they offered quadruple XL shirts that are to be worn untucked with baseball caps worn sideways.

14. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Jay-Z, amazingly, has become quite well-dressed. Doesn't do the 7-button jobs of most others. He does like really big knots. [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. jamesbond

jamesbond Senior member

yes i know hes usually seen wearing RLPL down to the socks. thats why i questioned why he would choose T&A to have a suit made. maybe hes tried everyone else. i wouldve thought he would do bespoke?