• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J casual wardrobe choices

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody
smile.gif

I'm in the process of (re)building my shoe wardrobe. Most of the fine brands that are being discussed here are not readily available where I live and I won't buy shoes on-line that I haven't tried on already.

But I can get Crockett & Jones here and have been looking at their different lasts and models. I really like shoes on the 348 last (like the Hallam on pictures and in the the flesh, but not when I try them on: They're too narrow for my foot, so for a comfortable fit the shoe ends up being way too long. Unfortunately (or luckily?) it's the same with the handgrade 337 last, so I'm now looking at the more classic 341 last, which I like more and more. There are quite a few shoes on that last, so if it fits me I will have a good selection to choose from.

These are not for work and very seldom for suits (and I already have a pair of black captoed oxfords from Church's getting resoled in England). The plan is to start my collection with some simple classics, without broguing. I've been looking at these models:

The Bradford. The colour looks much better in real life and the double sole is not too unwieldy.
The Dartmouth. The 318 last seems to fit me just as well as the 341.
I really wanted to like the Connaught (I love the colour on that picture, but have only tried it in black), but the last looks a little too round for me.

I would also like some boots, both chelsea and chukka and will most likely start with these Chiltern (they look much less bulbous in the flesh). Would you recommend the dark brown or the snuff colour?

Today I got the chance to try out a new C&J shoe called the Worcester - a dark brown suede derby with a new rubber (not Dainite) sole, on the 341 last. Strangely, it seemed more pointy than the other 341's.

My questions:

Any of these you would advice me against?
What other C&J's would you recommend?

Thanks in advance for any help and input.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The storm welt on that Brecon makes it a little too clunky for my taste, but I like the look of the Cottesmore.

Does anyone else have any favourites from the C&J lineup they would recommend?

About the Chiltern, would you go with the dark brown or the snuff colour? (If you press the 'back arrow' on the Chiltern page, you can see what the dark brown looks like on another model.)

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Differences in last and sole aside, why would you go with an unlined boot over a lined one?

boston009

Reaction score
I have the Dartmouth in teak. It is a very nice casual shoe, and the last is actually quite flattering...

potter AB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
I really like shoes on the 348 last (like the Hallam on pictures and in the the flesh, but not when I try them on: They're too narrow for my foot,
You can get the Hallam in F, which is wider than the regular E. Perhaps you could even get half a number down in size, as I did when I got an F-fitting.

flatfront

Reaction score
+2 on the Cottesmore. One of the best boots around and built to last.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by potter AB
You can get the Hallam in F, which is wider than the regular E.
Perhaps you could even get half a number down in size, as I did when I got an F-fitting.

Thanks for the advice. I tried the Hallam in a F fitting, but to my eye it seemed like the wider part of the last disrupts the overall elegant shape of the shoe.

Does anyone have any input on an unlined vs a lined boot?

How about the snuff suede vs dark brown suede choice for a chukka boot? (For instance, if you have both colors, which gets the most wear and why?)

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Differences in last and sole aside, why would you go with an unlined boot over a lined one?

For more comfortable wear in the summer.

mockingboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I tried the Hallam in a F fitting, but to my eye it seemed like the wider part of the last disrupts the overall elegant shape of the shoe.

Does anyone have any input on an unlined vs a lined boot?

How about the snuff suede vs dark brown suede choice for a chukka boot? (For instance, if you have both colors, which gets the most wear and why?)

I think lined is the way to go, better for cooler weather.

Snuff suede in my opinion is more versatile...goes with jeans, dark pants, navy pants, suits. Dark suede is tougher in a more casual setting.

-Mike

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mockingboy
I think lined is the way to go, better for cooler weather.
Thanks.

Snuff suede in my opinion is more versatile...goes with jeans, dark pants, navy pants, suits. Dark suede is tougher in a more casual setting.
Do you feel the same? I would think that dark brown suede would go just as well with jeans, etc?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads