• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Cardiff vs. Pebroke

dreamtripper

Reaction score
Which would you choose for general daily wear? (Business casual, sometimes suits)

miurasv

Reaction score
It would have to be the Pembroke for me as it's available in a G (wide) fit. The Cardiff is only availabe in an E which is quite narrow. Not sure about the Dainite sole on the Pembroke though. Can't get my head around paying this amount of money when these very soles are available on much cheaper shoes though I'm sure they'll last longer than any leather soled shoes will. But, I'm considering a Church Grafton with a Dainite sole as the soles on the leather soled ones I have are wearing very thin at the front very quickly.

dreamtripper

Reaction score
I'm undecided mostly because of the Dainite soles myself. They help make the shoes very comfortable, but also I think give it a little more casual look than I'd like - but that might be just me over analyzing it.

Not for certain, but I've heard that the Dainite soles cost something like $150 to put on afterwards which is more expensive than a typical leather re-sole.

miurasv

Reaction score
http://www.andersonsofdurham.co.uk/en/loake-805.html

When I see much cheaper shoes like Loakes with Dainite soles it gets me thinking. I'm sure there are even cheaper shoes with Dainite soles too. Maybe the sole isn't a major part of the shoe's cost or much more labour and skill is utlised in making the upper?

dreamtripper

Reaction score
That's a tough point to argue - having the exact same sole on a £125 vs. £325 pair of shoes. At the shoe repair shop I go to, even the nicest leather soles are in general not terribly expensive so maybe you're right that the soles are not a critical part of the overall cost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads