C&J Calvary Calf Care

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Phoenix_AZ, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Phoenix_AZ

Phoenix_AZ Member

I just picked up the Northcote and wanted to know what is the best polish for this. I know that the calvary calf minimizes the need for polish, but does anyone have any tips, especially for Crocket & Jones.

Shawn

2. skeptic

skeptic Well-Known Member

Calvary calf...sounds blasphemous. Cavalry calf on the other hand may be C&J's term for corrected grain leather.

3. Phoenix_AZ

Phoenix_AZ Member

It is a version of it. I read a few explanations. C&J also call it Wax Calf Leather Uppers (from Pediwear).

I just wondered if anyone else had these and what did they use.

4. atia2

atia2 Senior member

Bumping this thread, as I am also interested in how one looks after Cavalry Calf, which is C&J's corrected grain leather. I just bought the following pair from New & Lingwood in burgundy, primarily as a bad weather shoe. They have double leather soles with storm welts and I imagine the uppers will be quite forgiving of exposure to the elements. While the look is certainly less nuanced than that of the finer calfskins in my collection, it is nevertheless an interesting addition. At present it resembles Cordovan, although I imagine the long-term appearance will diverge from this. I am pleased with them so far: they are surprisingly comfortable given they are built like the proverbial brick s**t house.

Any advice on the maintenance regime for these would be much appreciated.

[​IMG]

5. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Why not call them up and ask them?

6. atia2

atia2 Senior member

I plan to ask them in store as I live nearby. However, I have found the shoe care advice on SF to be far more comprehensive than what I typically receive in shoe shops (which is, generally, along the lines of "apply polish and brush it off").