• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J belts

Getzione

Reaction score
Crockett & Jones suggested the chestnut belt for my burnished chestnut shoes, and although that sounds about right, the shade on the chestnut belt looks to be way darker than the shoes. By the pictures offered by C&J, the Tan almost looks closer. Does anybody have a comparison?

And while we're at it, does C&J make their own belts? Looks alot like Andersons out of Parma.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Getzione
Crockett & Jones suggested the chestnut belt for my burnished chestnut shoes, and although that sounds about right, the shade on the chestnut belt looks to be way darker than the shoes. By the pictures offered by C&J, the Tan almost looks closer. Does anybody have a comparison?

And while we're at it, does C&J make their own belts? Looks alot like Andersons out of Parma.

I'm led to believe they don't make their own belts as none of them seem to match any of the leather they currently use for their shoes - which is pretty annoying...

Hannes

Reaction score
I have a tobacco suede belt from C&J that matches my C&J tobacco suede shoes perfectly.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hannes
I have a tobacco suede belt from C&J that matches my C&J tobacco suede shoes perfectly.

That's odd. I was in the Jermyn St shop trying to match a belt to my snuff suedes and they had no match at all. Maybe I was just unlucky. They never told me I could order one in or try another store though.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My chestnut belt matches my shoes fine. The shoes have more of a red tint to them from the antiquing, but the unburnished parts of the shoe look just like the belt.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Patek
My chestnut belt matches my shoes fine. The shoes have more of a red tint to them from the antiquing, but the unburnished parts of the shoe look just like the belt.

The unburnished parts on mine are almost non-existing. I basically got a pair of red shoes. You dont happend to have a photo do you?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the picture shows the color like crap thanks to a light reflection and a crappy camera. However, you can see the upper part of the right shoe is identical in color.:

RX-7005.jpg

Guero

Reaction score
At C&J New York yesterday I was told that they make their belts from the same leather as their shoes.

dr.no

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you have 1 belt for each pair of shoes you own? I intentionally try to avoid matching colors exactly, maybe it's the little sprezz in me.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My burnished chestnut belt and shoes were very close in color, but I think that's somewhat luck of the draw. I wouldn't order a belt in the same color as a shoe again, as it's easy enough to find something close enough to work, and I find it a bit more elegant when the shoes and belt aren't a perfect match anyway. Also, I found the C&J belt to be a tad on the skinny side for my taste.

Originally Posted by Guero
At C&J New York yesterday I was told that they make their belts from the same leather as their shoes.

Yo holmes, did you score my Drummonds? LOL

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sometimes buy belts to match my shoes, but usually don't. I mainly do it if the shoe I'm buying is a new hue ot texture. For instance, I bought cordovan shoes and a cordovan belt to match as well as the C&J stuff above. I liked that it matches, but the tint is different as it adds some sprezz to it.

Sometimes I have more fun with it. For instance, today I'm wearing the BB shearling boot to work with the belt that I bought to "match" it. The belt is actually suede which matches (not exact) one of the colors on my two-tone boots. In my head, the suede matches the fur inside the boots and thus makes sense to me.

To me matching belts os not about having the same color, but rather a theme that makes sense and colors that complement each other.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's easier to play around with colours in calf - I don't think they should necessarily match but for some reason I feel suede should be as close as possible. Not sure why.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dr.no
Do you have 1 belt for each pair of shoes you own? I intentionally try to avoid matching colors exactly, maybe it's the little sprezz in me.

Not at all. I also like when the colors dont correspond to much. But none of my belts match the burnished chestnut even remotely.

Getzione

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Things like this is why I only do side tabs anymore...

Good call. I tend to do sidetabs on suits, but wear alot of sc\\trous aswell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads