• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C & J Ashdown vs. Church's Shannon? Which to get?

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was fairly settled on getting a pair of Church's Shannons then I came across the Crockett & Jones cordovan Ashdown. The former is going for about £335, the latter around £30 more, I think (this price - £365 - being based on last year's catalogue which doesn't list the Ashdown, but the Grasmere cordovan on the 325 last (its replacement?); the Ashdown is on the 341)
I'm flexible on the colour (Church's having more options) but wondering whether I should plumb for my first pair of Cordovans.
I've read some criticism of Church's but at this price point would I notice a difference in wear or durability from the C & Js?
Any informed opinion welcome. Thanks.

http://www.crockettandjones.co.uk/cordovan-ashdown.html
http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/produc...electedFitID=0

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my humble opinion, there is no way in hell you should get those Shannons at 300 plus GBP. go to plal.com and get the shell CJs for $550, or any of their veldtschoens.

I would probably recommend $300 calf Aldens over those Church's.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
In my humble opinion, there is no way in hell you should get those Shannons at 300 plus GBP. go to plal.com and get the shell CJs for $550, or any of their veldtschoens.

Jesus! Those C&J cordovans on Plal come in at more than £100 cheaper than the list price (assuming the Ashdown is priced as the old Grasmere). Even with shipping they're quite a bit cheaper.
And is plal good to do biz with? reliable etc

moonman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Jesus! Those C&J cordovans on Plal come in at more than £100 cheaper than the list price (assuming the Ashdown is priced as the old Grasmere). Even with shipping they're quite a bit cheaper.
And is plal good to do biz with? reliable etc

In my first experience with them this past month they were outstanding in all ways. I highly recommend them. As an added bonus, shipping is free for C&J Handgrades.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
I like the Church's.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
I like the Church's.

Yes, I'm drawn by the 'brown polished binder' colour, almost enough to plumb for it over the C&Js. Now if C&J had the cordovan in the same colour...

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
For this style of shoe I'd prefer Alden as well.

TKDKid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Britalian
Yes, I'm drawn by the 'brown polished binder' colour, almost enough to plumb for it over the C&Js.

Isn't "polished binder" yet another name for corrected grain leather...?

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Church's shoes would make anyone look like a repeat customer at any Aldo store or Macy's for that matter.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes, I believe it is. Church's has done a very good job packaging inferior leather as somehow desirable.

I defer to you guys' superior knowledge of this. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Also, Alden aren't so widely available here; I can't bring myself to order on the interweb without first trying on the shoes in-store.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
I despise Church's

I'm curious as to why.

The CG effect isn't for everyone, obviously. I don't mind the shiny effect so much, on this style of shoe, anyway; on my others I think that it wouldn't be very agreeable.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the principle of it. Why pay $670.00 for leather which is worth $80? $670 - that's just wrong for that shoe.

Also, there's nothing exceptional about the shape or color of the Church's plaintoes. Practically every single shoe manufacturer discussed here makes a plaintoe blucher in brown, midbrown, or tan, or cordovan. What do you like about it so much? The color alone?

atroopan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

In all honesty those Church's look very similar to the Alden Plain Toe Bluchers I got from STP earlier this year for 125 bucks! For that price it is my default 'kick-around' shoe.

Picture them with a tree and a bit of a mirror shine added and you'll see what I mean.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...s-For-Men.html

troop

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads