• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

C&J Antique Nubuck corrected grain?

HappymaN

Reaction score
I've noticed in pictures that the C&J Antique Nubuck, featured in brown on the Tetbury boot, tends to crease rather significantly. I have confirmed with yfyf that these shoes crease more than any other shoe he has on the 348 last. Is it possible the "Antique Nubuck" is a code-word for corrected grain leather? In my experience, only corrected grain leather and cordovan crease this much. I have attached one of yfyf's photographs. Am considering a Tetbury purchase but the creasing is putting me off.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HappymaN
I've noticed in pictures that the C&J Antique Nubuck, featured in brown on the Tetbury boot, tends to crease rather significantly.

I have confirmed with yfyf that these shoes crease more than any other shoe he has on the 348 last. Is it possible the "Antique Nubuck" is a code-word for corrected grain leather? In my experience, only corrected grain leather and cordovan crease this much.

I have attached one of yfyf's photographs, I hope he does not mind.

Am considering a Tetbury purchase but the creasing is putting me off.

Assuming it's the same leather as my C&J Chelsea 5's it's definitely not corrected grain - just a very soft waxed nubuck. I don't get anywhere near that much creasing with the Chelsea's though, and what I do get largely disappears after a night on a shoe tree... I'm pretty sure they're the same leather. I'll try and grab a photo tonight.

flatfront

Reaction score
Yeah the nubuck on the Tetbury creases like crazy but the look suits the character of the shoe IMHO. I asked the staff in C&J about the leather and they confirmed it is indeed a waxed and rolled nubuck rather than Corrected Grain and that it is prone to the creasing. Interestingly I have had a coupel of people ask me if the boots were Cordovan.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For comparison C&J Chelsea 5's in the same leather:

I think the flash emphasises the 'creases' more than they appear in real life. The shape of the Tetbury, and or the wax you use may make them appear more creased. The leather is incredibly soft and malleable.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 272 32.9%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.7%
  • 31 - 40