1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

C&J Albany

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambulance Chaser, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

2. Tibo

Tibo Senior Member

I really like the Crockett and Jones Albany being sold by Ben Silver:

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefro...y=6115&group=2

Is this shoe a regular C&J model or is made specially for Ben Silver? Is it a Handgrade?

Gosh, that's a beautiful shoe indeed ... Pity it does not exist in black as well. Does anybody know if Ben Silver ships to Europe ?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that AFAIK it's not a regular C&J model.

3. Duveen

Duveen Senior Member

Hi AC,

Not a regular model. I thought long and hard about that being my major dark-suede shoe purchase, but ended up going for the RL Alton @ ~$290 instead.

I am sure that I have never seen that model elsewhere.

What do you think the last is? The combination of a more-rounded toe and a toe cap makes it looks slightly less-than-perfect, but the catalogue photos that I saw in the print version were just gorgeous...

4. darkoak

darkoak Senior Member

I saw a pair of C&J Albany at Barneys NYC last weekend. Same style as the Ben Silver one, for sale for I think around $300.

Searched the web and found it's also available in black:

http://www.armenak.fr/produits/nos_m...h&id_marque=27

Anyone knows what last it's on? The one at Barneys looked sleeker than 337, but the salesman couldn't tell.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I saw a pair of C&J Albany at Barneys NYC last weekend. Same style as the Ben Silver one, for sale for I think around $300.

Wow! I'd have been sorely tempted (unless it was black).

6. darkoak

darkoak Senior Member

nope it was dark brown suede just like the Ben Silver model

7. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

I saw a pair of C&J Albany at Barneys NYC last weekend. Same style as the Ben Silver one, for sale for I think around $300. Anyone knows what last it's on? The one at Barneys looked sleeker than 337, but the salesman couldn't tell.
    I'd guess the 330. I have the Downings (also available from Ben Silver), and they're on the 330 last. Comparing the shape of the Albany to that of the Downing, I suspect they're on the same last. Incidentally, I definitely do not see the round-toe Albany last as sleeker than the 337; to me it's just the opposite!

8. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior Member

I've got a pair of C&J HG Albany in light tan antique and AFAIK they are made in all the usual suspect HG leather colors. With the Albany it's just the same as with e.g. the Hanover or the Tavistock - for some reason, they don't belong to C&J's regular HG line up, but they are available at certain store chains or via special order. Oh, and they are definitely made on the 337 last. It's the suede that makes the shape look different in the linked picture. Here's a picture of my pair: [​IMG]

9. Tibo

Tibo Senior Member

I've got a pair of C&J HG Albany in light tan antique and AFAIK they are made in all the usual suspect HG leather colors. With the Albany it's just the same as with e.g. the Hanover or the Tavistock - for some reason, they don't belong to C&J's regular HG line up, but they are available at certain store chains or via special order. (...)

Does that mean that they would not be available via Plal ?

10. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Yes, C&J is loath to sell any special models through plal.

I have a very similar shoe C&J made for Cleverley. It's great. So I guess you could call Korshak or Kempson to see if they stock a Cleverley adelaide.

11. medwards

medwards Senior Member Dubiously Honored

C: Sounds like you're ready to order an Edward Green Lichfield or Canderbury in their mink suede when you see Hilary Freeman next month! [​IMG]

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Distinguished Member

AC: Sounds like you're ready to order an Edward Green Lichfield or Canderbury in their mink suede when you see Hilary Freeman next month! [​IMG]
    Actually, I was interested in this model specifically for its ability to substitute for the Lichfield, freeing up funds to go to other EG models. [​IMG] Right now, I'm thinking about the Oundle, the Exeter (if still available), or a high-vamp loafer.

13. UR003

UR003 Active Member

... So I guess you could call Korshak or Kempson to see if they stock a Cleverley adelaide.
    What exactly is an adelaide. A shoe with brogueing around the eyelets? Or does it have to have brogueing around the heel cap too? I am looking for a definition here. Thanks.

14. sysdoc

sysdoc Senior Member

Actually, I was interested in this model specifically for its ability to substitute for the Lichfield, freeing up funds to go to other EG models. [​IMG] Right now, I'm thinking about the Oundle, the Exeter (if still available), or a high-vamp loafer.
    If you go to Northampton anyway, why not pop into C&J's factory store in Perry Street and check for the Albany? They had it in several different colors and sizes last time I was there and it would be "only" 210 GBP incl. VAT. My suggestion for Northampton: go to Oliver St. (JL) first, because there you get the best bang for the buck. You pay 220 GBP for prestige line seconds/rejects that are up to 740 GBP in Jermyn Street. Then go to Perry St. (C&J), though only on Friday afternoons or Saturday mornings, and finally go see Hilary. EG sells factory outlet shoes for the by far highest price (285 GBP vs. 445 GBP in London). Things were different with Susie, but this time has come and gone. [​IMG]

15. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

An adelaide is also known as a u-throat.

[​IMG]

compared to:

[​IMG]

Does not need to be brogued.