• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

C&J Aintree 337 last

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a three eyelet derby on a very sleek looking 337 last. Do you think a dark brown pair will go with suits?

1009handgraaintree.jpg

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think they make them in brown unless it's suede

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can get something like that in a dark brown, I think it will definitely go with suits. I often wear high cut derbies like that with suits. When standing, the trouser falls over the shoe such that the lacing is not visible. As a result, you can't see that they aren't balmorals. All you see is the wide expanse of leather at the toe in front of the trouser break. It can actually be quite a formal look.

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90
The C&J catalog shows the Aintree in "Beige Antique Calf" and black, but not dark brown. However, a fairly similar derby, the Stanley, with two eyelets but not the V-facings, can be had in dark brown. Better still, if you want sleek, look into the Vass 3-eyelet Londoner on the U-last.

TKDKid

Reaction score
I wear my pair of Aintrees in black with suits and think they look great. I've been looking for a pair in dark brown for a while too and have my eye on the Stanley model that Roger mentioned:

cjstanleydarkbrownbk7.jpg

web4%20090.jpg

mumbojumbo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jml90

Afaik you can get any color thru their semi-bespoke-service (see page 9, retail catalogue 2005/2006).

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Those are beautiful shoes, TKDKid.
smile.gif

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mumbojumbo
Afaik you can get any color thru their semi-bespoke-service (see page 9, retail catalogue 2005/2006).
True, but at twice the cost of the RTW line--putting them into EG price territory. Not a good deal in my opinion.

Garfieldthecat

Reaction score
Those shoes look great!

Where can one find the Aintree in brown or the Stanley? I don't see them listed at either Pediwear or Plal. (Well, the Aintree is listed, but only in black)

Thanks

TKDKid

Reaction score
You should be able to order the Stanley in dark brown through C&J in London (so won't be paying PLal prices for them, although you do get VAT knocked off). I don't think the Aintree is available in dark brown though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads