1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

C&J 337 Last

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by hopkins_student, May 30, 2006.

1. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Distinguished Member

I've only seen this last in pictures, so I've got a pretty good idea of what it looks like but I'm not entirely sure about the toe shape. Is it just barely a chisel-toe, if at all? It seems relatively sleek with maybe just a hint of squaring at the toe. Is my understanding of the last correct? I'm thinking of picking up a monk and a cap-toe oxford, in black calf on a sleek last without too much chisel, and the Savile and Audley look like they might fill the bill.

2. whoopee

whoopee Distinguished Member

It's not a chiselled-toe, but it is more than a little squarish. I think of them as an elongated square toe with a bit of roundness.

3. Alter

Alter Distinguished Member

Here's a couple of pics of the Weymouth on the 337. It's a nice sleek shape. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

You might head to the Beverly Hills RL store and try on their Polo shoes made by C&J on the 337 last. The only model I'm certain qualifies is the Alton, a suede wingtip derby, but I'm sure others can list more models.

5. pkincy

pkincy Senior Member

The Benton is the Belgrade and is on the 337 last and if they still have it the Tellman is also available but I believe that is on the 330 last.

Perry

6. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

The Benton is the Belgrade and is on the 337 last and if they still have it the Tellman is also available but I believe that is on the 330 last.

Perry

I'll grant that the Polo Benton looks a lot like the C&J Belgrave. But the Polo Web site says "Made in Italy." Is this just a mistake?

7. grimslade

grimslade Stylish Dinosaur

You know, if you look at the blown-up picture, it looks like it says "Hand Made in England" on three lines in the heel. So, never mind.

8. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

I wonder if there's a 1337 last.

9. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

It's not a chiselled-toe, but it is more than a little squarish. I think of them as an elongated square toe with a bit of roundness.
    Although I'd agree that the C&J 337 last doesn't have a sharply chiseled toe, I think that it definitely does have something of a chiseled toe form--perhaps what we might call a "mildly-chiseled toe." I think that's apparent in this picture of the Weymouth:

[​IMG]

Edit: As an aside, I just realized, once again, what a truly great-looking shoe the Weymouth is. I don't have a pair, but should definitely get my order in to Shyam. The only thing I've ever found slightly wrong with it is a slightly wider-than-desirable sole extension. If I got a pair, I'd have the soles cut back by about 2-3 mm. from the breast forward.

10. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

5h03 n00b lolz!!!11111!111!!!

11. kronik

kronik Distinguished Member

lolz!!!!!!!11111shift+oneshift+one

12. thinman

thinman Distinguished Member

Edit: As an aside, I just realized, once again, what a truly great-looking shoe the Weymouth is. I don't have a pair, but should definitely get my order in to Shyam. The only thing I've ever found slightly wrong with it is a slightly wider-than-desirable sole extension. If I got a pair, I'd have the soles cut back by about 2-3 mm. from the breast forward.[/I]

I was thinking exactly the same thing on my way to a lunch-time meeting. I really need to order the Weymouth. What's the chance C&J will stop making it before, say, the end of next year?

13. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

Although I'd agree that the C&J 337 last doesn't have a sharply chiseled toe, I think that it definitely does have something of a chiseled toe form--perhaps what we might call a "mildly-chiseled toe." I think that's apparent in this picture of the Weymouth:

[​IMG]

Edit: As an aside, I just realized, once again, what a truly great-looking shoe the Weymouth is. I don't have a pair, but should definitely get my order in to Shyam. The only thing I've ever found slightly wrong with it is a slightly wider-than-desirable sole extension. If I got a pair, I'd have the soles cut back by about 2-3 mm. from the breast forward.

Roger - that could just be an artifact of the photo angle in that thumbnail. My pair (http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/6981/wey2fn4.jpg) from this angle doesn't look so extreme, although they are not as closely cut as EGs. And in any case you've got two pairs of Newburys - what do you need with another pair of wholecuts?? [​IMG]

14. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

Roger - that could just be an artifact of the photo angle in that thumbnail. My pair (http://img280.imageshack.us/img280/6981/wey2fn4.jpg) from this angle doesn't look so extreme, although they are not as closely cut as EGs. And in any case you've got pairs of Newburys - what do you need with another pair of wholecuts?? [​IMG]

There is no such thing as too many wholecuts [​IMG]

15. tattersall

tattersall Distinguished Member

There is no such thing as too many wholecuts [​IMG]

Preaching to the converted... [​IMG]