1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

BYOB and Sommeliers?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by David J. Cooper, Sep 27, 2018.

1. David J. Cooper

David J. Cooper Active Member

As a new member here I have been watching many threads on Classical Menswear. I have only posted about my cars and wine. These are subjects I feel more comfortable expressing my opinions on.

I am curious whether members here bring wines from their collections to restaurants. As a participant in forums like the Wine Advocatè forum, Winebeserkers and Vinous it seems to be very common. I have done it for years in everything from neighbourhood bistros to Michelin 3 star holders. It has always been a positive experience whether in a group of like minded wine lovers or just me and my Mrs.

I was surprised when I was accused of insulting the whole "Somm" industry by participating in this practise.

So how do others feel about bringing a bottle from their cellar or a bottle from a recently visited winery or wine store?

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

LOL, this is some good butthurt. Post from months ago that triggered this:

I bet if everyone BYOB'ed my friend would get a promotion! And that was his pick of restaurants so apparently he sucks at picking those too!

3. David J. Cooper

Thought it was a fair question. I thought it would be interesting to get the opinion of non wine geeks.

I will put your vote down as fan of "somms" . Thanks for participating. I thought you had me on ignore.

4. Piobaire

I never said I had you on ignore I just felt no need to reply to you. I did get a chuckle how you have in your head morphed our conversation to me claiming you've insulted an entire profession though. That's some good stuff.

Also, don't forget the part where it went from you wanting to BYOB to his new place into having your friend "toss him some business" by BYOB'ing. And of course your post telling us of your deep knowledge of "the wine world" and implication I have no insight into it...even though the conversation was around a friend of mine that is a somm. Gold, Jerry, Gold!

5. David J. Cooper

Thanks Kenny. I see you waving your raised hand but it's time to let the other kids answer.

6. Piobaire

Thought you had me on ignore?

7. Griffindork

Griffindork Guest

In New York, among wine geeks, BYOB is common practice. Even those restaurants where the wine list is the main event (racine's, tribeca grill and the like) have reasonable corkage (and BYOB mondays in many cases). Somms don't have an issue with it. The quality of wines that people are bringing are pretty high and the somm gets to taste (and keep the leftovers), and when you do a wine-themed dinner where people are using lots of glasses and really taxing the somm, you always leave a healthy tip. And, any restaurant that doesn't like the practice just does "no corkage" (not too many of those) or a prohibitively high corkage fee ($150 at the EMP/Per Se). Many of the Japanese/sushi restaurants tend to have crappy lists, I assume because they are geared towards serving smaller groups of people per night and therefore it doesn't make sense to retain a large cellar. So corkage is pretty much the rule there. If you aren't sure how they feel about it, I would just call and ask. If they say "we frown upon it", then I wouldn't bring. But I'd also probably go eat somewhere else so that I can enjoy a better wine.

8. reidd

reidd Senior Member

I BYOB all the time both in NYC and when traveling for work. Some places refuse it, and almost all have corkage fees so I always call in advance before bringing.

In NYC the lists are better by and large so there is less of a need to BYOB but I do frequent some neighborhood restaurants that have pretty mediocre lists to which I will always bring my own. Corkage is always more in NYC as well, and even for neighborhood places its usually at least $30-$40. I would still rather do this than drink over marked-up crappy wine.

I am happy to pay markup on a list by the way but I expect to get something for it. I will happily seek out restaurants that have interesting things from allocated producers, producers that are otherwise hard to find or bottles with age on them.