• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bwi to crystal city

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
OK -

Later this month I and two colleagues have to go to Washington D.C. for a convention. It's taking place at the Hyatt Crystal City and that's where we will be staying. Unfortunately, as a cheap company, we are flying into BWI rather than Reagan or Dulles. I am wondering about suggestions for ground transportation from the airport to the hotel.

The suggestion we were given is to take the MARC/Amtrak to Union Station and then catch the Metro to Crystal City.

The catch is this - our flight does not get in until 10:46 p.m. on a Wednesday night. That means that we probably won't get out of the airport until at least 11:00 p.m. The train supposedly takes 30 minutes to get to Union Station, so at the earliest we would not get there until 11:30 p.m.

My recollection is that the Metro shuts down at midnight, so I am just wondering if this is even going to work. (As after leaving Union Station we would still have to take the Red line to Gallery Place/Chinatown and then switch to the Yellow line to finish the trip). I'm concerned that by getting in so late, we might either not be able to get out of Union Station or make it somewhere along the Red line as the system is shutting down for the night.

Also - the hotel allegedly has a shuttle that comes around every half-hour and picks people up at the Metro station, but is that really going to be running at midnight?

OK - sorry for the length of this post - but does anyone who lives in the D.C. area have a suggestion? Has anyone used the limo or car services from the airport and if so, which one would you recommend? There are three of us going, so splitting a fare would not be too bad.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Bradford

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can think of two options off the top of my head:

1. Take the train down to Union Station.  If it's late and you don't want to risk getting stuck at a metro station, cab it to Crystal City.  Taxis are plentiful and cheap in DC and should be readily available at Union Station through the night.

2. Take the Super Shuttle (blue van) from BWI to Crystal City.  That's the cheapest car service I know of.  I don't know if they run that late, however.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Take Amtrack from BWI to Union Station. I wish I could help more about the hours for the metro. If it's still running, I'd take it. If not, I guess I'd have to go against my better judgment and hop in a cab.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm thinking the train from BWI to Union Station sounds good and then taking a cab or limo to the hotel. Does anyone have experience with the different limo or towncar type of services? Can I arrange for one to meet us at Union Station?

Bradford

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads