• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buzz Rickson Flight Jackets Fit (MA-1, L-2)

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to pick up a Buzz Rickson flight jacket, either the MA-1 or the L-2 (preferrably the L-2A).

Anyone have one of these or tried them on and can help out with fitting. Seems like they run huge: sz 42 L-2a has a 52" chest???

I'm 5'10", 180 lbs, wear a sz 42 in vintage leather jackets (Langlitz, Schott, etc.), a size 40 in Filson. My shirt size is 15.5 34-35.

I would be wearing it with maybe a flannel underneath; not major layering... Want as sleek as possible.

Seems like the MA1 William Gibson model, or anything in a 38 Long would be good.

Any pointers? Just purchased a 42 L-2A, and now I'm sure it's gonna be huge on me... kinda freaking out!!! (if anyone is looking to size up to a 42, lemme know. trade?)

Thx for any insight, and Cheers.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I've tried the Buzz MA-1 and thought it fit very true to size. I have a 38 chest and wore the 38 and it was a good snug fit, def not loose.

on a related tangent, for a first type MA-1 there is also the Alpha "authentic" MA-1, which I have in grey, and imo I like more than the Buzz model. Alpha is a much heavier/sturdier jacket with thick wool ribbing on the sleeves and waist. Also it retails for about $250ish so much more affordable. But if it must be the Buzz jacket, it's good, just not sure it's worth the $600+ price tag attached to it imo

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thx, guy. doesn't have to be a BR, but I'm really into the details of these... I mean, Crown zippers?? Effin Rad!

Would you say the length worked for you? If you wear a 38 chest, what about the arms and body length? (you don't look as pudgy as me, how tall are you?!)

BTW lookin sharp, my man! Something about a Fred Perry vest. always have had at least four or five polos in my closet, since the early Rude Boy- Oi! days of the mid-90s. Don't wear 'em much, but can't part with 'em either...

Thx for your input!

Scoobersti

Reaction score
Get Smart- How is the sizing on the Alpha Authentic MA-1? Thanks.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a Buzz Rickson MA-1 flight jacket in a size 38, but found it a touch too large for me as a size 39" chest. It's extremely comfortable, and the quality is unquestionable outstanding, but I think it would be better for a 40". I'd suggest sizing down one for a slim (but still comfortable) fit, and going TTS if you're looking for a more accommodating fit.

I'll be putting my MA-1 up for sale on B&S sometime soon, but if anybody wants dibs on it, I have a BNWT, never worn outside BR MA-1 for sale.
redface.gif

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jslade
I just purchased a Buzz Rickson MA-1 flight jacket in a size 38, but found it a touch too large for me as a size 39" chest. It's extremely comfortable, and the quality is unquestionable outstanding, but I think it would be better for a 40". I'd suggest sizing down one for a slim (but still comfortable) fit, and going TTS if you're looking for a more accommodating fit.

I'll be putting my MA-1 up for sale on B&S sometime soon, but if anybody wants dibs on it, I have a BNWT, never worn outside BR MA-1 for sale.
redface.gif

Don't sell it, just exchange it for a size 36 which will probably fit you perfectly.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b-ewing
Would you say the length worked for you? If you wear a 38 chest, what about the arms and body length? (you don't look as pudgy as me, how tall are you?!)

i'm 5'10 and found the length and sleeve just right. I'd say the lengths would work for someone up to 6', taller than that and it might look tad shrunken, shorter than 5'8 and i'd say it'd run too long.

Originally Posted by Scoobersti
Get Smart- How is the sizing on the Alpha Authentic MA-1? Thanks.

Mine is a small (pretty much same overall fit as a normal Alpha MA-1), and it fits like a 38, probably could fit a 40 real snug. I do notice the "authentic" MA-1 is about an inch or so longer in body length than my regular MA-1. It's a very heavy/bulky jacket, much moreso than the regular MA-1, but it has a surprisingly "slim" fit if a MA-1 can ever be called that, meaning it's not so puffy that you look like the Michelin Man

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiya,

I know Selfedge only sells the William Gibson MA-1 in BR flights, but any insight from you?

At 5'10" 180lb, with a 42" chest, what size would you generally suggest I order (for both the regular cut L-2 & MA-1s, and the slimmer William Gibson MA-1)? Up here in Seatle, I'm only left to the internet to find one of these- no place to try them on locally... I really appreciate everyone's input.

Scoobersti

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Get Smart. I appreciate it.

Sorry for thread jacking this a little bit b-ewing.

kiya

Brand Representative
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by b-ewing
Kiya,

I know Selfedge only sells the William Gibson MA-1 in BR flights, but any insight from you?

At 5'10" 180lb, with a 42" chest, what size would you generally suggest I order (for both the regular cut L-2 & MA-1s, and the slimmer William Gibson MA-1)? Up here in Seatle, I'm only left to the internet to find one of these- no place to try them on locally... I really appreciate everyone's input.

I would go for a 38 in the WG MA-1. We have two left in that size.
Worse case scenario if it's too small you can just exchange up for a 40.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In short, my size L-2A that I just picked up (and is currently in transit to my house) is going to be wayyy too big for me...

If anyone is interested in a 42R Buzz Rickson L-2A (reported to be in like new condition), I'll offload it for $300 shipped. OR if you want to swap for a 38L or a 40, I'm open to that too?
(PM me!)

GeorgeC

Reaction score
Reviving old thread here but would love to see what people think of the fit of the Buzz x Gibson Ma-1? 40 = L ? or 42 = L? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads