• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying used Shell Cordovan - looking for oxfords, but mostly derbies and bluchers available?

wdkwang

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

After getting into the shoe game a few years back and having collected 7 pairs of calf leather Allen Edmonds (mix of new factory firsts and seconds), I figured it was time to start looking for shell. I've always been partial to the sleek look of Italian designed shoes but ended up collecting AE's due to the price point, value, and them being readily available to me in NYC with multiple local stores. I buy when there's a big sale so I generally get them for $200-250, with the exception of the Independence collection which I got for $350.

Anyways, I've been looking for cheap, used shells in good condition online and found one a pair of vintage shell penny loafers for $100 that I'm awaiting delivery later today. They look like they have only been worn a few times at most. My girl says it looks like something her grandpa would wear, but, whatever, she doesn't understand men's classicwear.

As I'm not looking to spend much more than what I have for AE's (which is why I'm looking at used shells), I noticed that almost all of the used shells available are american-style derbies and bluchers. My opinion is that although they look like substantial and durable workhorses, they also look very bulky/blocky and heavy. Quite the opposite of italian design. Not trying to hate on them, I'm just heavily partial to oxfords so that's a big limiting factor in my search.

Do you guys have any opinions or suggestions on where and how i should look for oxford shells or italian-style oxford shells? So far, I've just been searching ebay with "shell cordovan 10.5" and "shell cordovan 11". The 10.5 and 11 are my shoe sizes depending on the brand and last.

Thank you.

MrBorland

Reaction score
I noticed that almost all of the used shells available are american-style derbies and bluchers. My opinion is that although they look like substantial and durable workhorses, they also look very bulky/blocky and heavy. Quite the opposite of italian design. Not trying to hate on them, I'm just heavily partial to oxfords so that's a big limiting factor in my search.

Do you guys have any opinions or suggestions on where and how i should look for oxford shells or italian-style oxford shells? So far, I've just been searching ebay with "shell cordovan 10.5" and "shell cordovan 11". The 10.5 and 11 are my shoe sizes depending on the brand and last.

Thank you.

Check out Carmina. They might not be the only ones, but when I think "euro" and "shell", Carmina comes to mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads