• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying supplements

Specs

Reaction score
If I go to a supplement store (Popeyes here in Canada which carries a variety of brands), and ask them to recommend me a product, will they typically try to sell me brands that have higher profit margins for them or will they choose something that suits my needs?

In other words, should I go in there already researched and knowing what I want or can I ask for their advice and expect unbiased advice.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they are sales men and the worst kind. Do not trust your health to some high school drop out meathead.

Do you research, establish your goals and at least get an idea of how to achieve them.

I recommend you start reading up online first. Oh, and traditional brick and mortar stores are gonna rip you off no matter what. If your more comfortable going in, fine. But just know your paying a premium for no expertise and teh same crap.

KenRose

Reaction score
a number of my friends are pretty high level athletes and have to be careful with their supplements. Try biotest (t-nation.com). Lot of hype on their forums and their supplements may be more expensive but they are top notch and worth the price.
Ken

Originally Posted by Specs
If I go to a supplement store (Popeyes here in Canada which carries a variety of brands), and ask them to recommend me a product, will they typically try to sell me brands that have higher profit margins for them or will they choose something that suits my needs?

In other words, should I go in there already researched and knowing what I want or can I ask for their advice and expect unbiased advice.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
The only supplements anyone ever needs is whey and food. Throw in some fish oil, a multi, and creatine mono and you are set.

Specs

Reaction score
Thanks. I suppose I was kind of expecting that.

I am going to try Muscle Milk, or Optimum 100% because it seems to get very favorable reviews. Does anyone have any opinions on which tastes better, which mixes better, and flavor suggestions?

greg_atlanta

Reaction score
Look at the ingredients and google each one, see what you're getting in to. There are a lot of fake sweeteners and other crap. Fake sweeteners just tease your body into craving more sweets.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bulknutrition.com - I use ADAM multivitamin, NOW green tea extract, carlsons fish oil from here

trueprotein.com - pure isolate blend and team skip

end thread. Seriously, you will not need anything past these sites. Don't go to a store for reasons already mentioned.

Tooch4321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jarude
bulknutrition.com - I use ADAM multivitamin, NOW green tea extract, carlsons fish oil from here

end thread. Seriously, you will not need anything past these sites. Don't go to a store for reasons already mentioned.

+1,000,000 on True Protein

I am currently taking Animal Pak, Man Vaporize, Mega-T Green Tea and Optimum Nutrition Whey, all can be purchased much cheaper online than at any store...

BBSLM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bulknutrition.com - I use ADAM multivitamin, NOW green tea extract, carlsons fish oil from here trueprotein.com - pure isolate blend and team skip end thread. Seriously, you will not need anything past these sites. Don't go to a store for reasons already mentioned.
this. I dont buy the same items, but they are the only two sites Ive used in the past like 5-6 years. edit: actually I use one more site for ephedrine hcl, but its an online pharmacy.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bang for the buck... go with ON. It tastes pretty good with water and is even better with milk. I usually just make about 6-8oz and take it in 3 big chugs, so its not like Im enjoying

MM tastes great with water, but you need to use 2 scoops and its more expensive.

Specs

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I am going to try ON from bulk nutrition.

Rikkar501

Reaction score
Heads up: Supplement Warehouse is having a sale today of the 5lb. Muscle Milk for $35. Stuff tastes great and at this price it's a steal. I think the sale ends today though...

seanpatrickb

Reaction score

Why not get your green tea extract and fish oil off tp too? I would be surprised if bulknutrition is actually cheaper for those, assuming you buy in actual bulk off tp. Their recession wheys are ridiculous deals if you can stomach them. I just buy those and consume them without flavoring, just a chalky taste to them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads