• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying suits from Overstock.com and Smartbargains. Good or bad?

compworld

Reaction score
Anyone have good luck or experience in buying suits from overstock.com or SmartBargains? I've been just bringing back my suits for the last few years and just getting them re-tailored. However. When you start at 260 LBS and now weigh 165 LBS, I am thinking it might be wise to start with a new wardrobe. They seem to have some nice suit brands on sale now. The other question is, I need to know my size. Which, I have no idea on how to get. I used to be 42, though, I am not sure what I am now. Any suggestions?

Wayward

Reaction score
To know your size, the obvious answer is to go try suits on. Most people will tell you that size numbers don't really help because different makers have different ideas of what a person with an X inch chest looks like. I've bought a suit from Overstock once before. However, the fit was crap (this was before I knew what I was doing) and I returned it. Didn't have any problems with them, purchasing wise. However, one problem with Overstock is that they don't provide you with actual measurements of the suits. Look around eBay and the B&S forum here and you'll quickly notice that sellers who know what they're doing will always post the suits' measurements. That is a much better way of ensuring a proper fit. Honestly, in looking at Overstock's selection right now, the prices aren't exactly the best anyway; in fact, those are the prices I'd expect to pay when they're on sale anywhere. The brands are mediocre and for not knowing their measurements, it's not a risk I'd advise taking, since you're not saving that much money in the long run. Best piece of advice: buy yourself a measuring tape, go try on suits, find the ones that fit and measure them yourself. That way you'll have a good profile of yourself if shopping online. Here's a good guide for measuring suits: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/T...easurement.htm Of course, not everyone will be measuring exactly the same way. If in doubt, get clarification from the seller. One common issue is whether the length of a jacket is measured from the bottom of collar (BOC) or top of collar down the back. Also, whether the chest and shoulders are measured on the front or back of the jacket. You get the idea.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of linen summer suits from overstock with good luck. As others stated, knowing your size in the make and model prior to buying will reduce the likelihood of returns.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've purchased two sportcoats from SmartBargains. They came as described, however the button stance was too high for me.

That is the difficulty buying online... you can't try them on before you buy it, even though they allow returns.

It would be a far better idea to go to a quality men's store nearby you and be fitted, or at least try on suits there to see what fits you. You definitely need new suits though. 100lbs is a lot of weight to lose. Congratulations! But you will not be able to alter your old suits to fit you properly now.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by compworld
The other question is, I need to know my size. Which, I have no idea on how to get. I used to be 42, though, I am not sure what I am now. Any suggestions?
Get a tape-measure and measure around your chest, then that's roughly the size you should be buying. Obviously you'll need to try things on to be sure they fit, since different cuts will make this vary up or down a bit, and the shoulder width can vary widly even between coats of the same size, but it should give you a rough idea of what to look for.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
just go to a men's store (ie brooks brothers) and they'll happily take your measurements. judging by your weight you're probably either a 38 or 40 but yeah, you could just do what others have suggested and go to a store to try on different sizes.... are you afraid to leave the house or something? something tells me that the fact you posted what you did might mean you are.

runner-guy

Reaction score
A few years ago I purchased a Calvin Klein suit from Smart Bargains before I knew any better. The material is decent but the shoulders are over padded. I think I got it for like $180, but it still wasn't a wise purchase. You'd be better off getting your measurements and looking on the B&S forum or ebay for a quality suit on discount.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody on Styleforum ever buys drastically marked down suits sight unseen from the Internet. Nobody.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
Nobody on Styleforum ever buys drastically marked down suits sight unseen from the Internet. Nobody.

laugh.gif

compworld

Reaction score
Actually, I have been spending some time on ebay and there are a few Valentino and Brioni suits that caught my eye. I have a muscular chest, so the jacket has always been an issue. I took a tape measure, and my chest is around 39. Should I shoot for 40 and then adjust when I bring it in to the tailor?

So my old suits, which are not that old, which are around 42 or so, are no good? Too much cloth to take in? Some are really nice. It would be a shame to waste them.

I have taken a look at Brooks Brothers, but I really do not want to spend 500 + on one suit. Rather buy on ebay and just spend the extra 100 or so on tailoring one of the ones above. My waist in jeans is like a 32.

runner-guy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by compworld
Actually, I have been spending some time on ebay and there are a few Valentino and Brioni suits that caught my eye. I have a muscular chest, so the jacket has always been an issue. I took a tape measure, and my chest is around 39. Should I shoot for 40 and then adjust when I bring it in to the tailor?

So my old suits, which are not that old, which are around 42 or so, are no good? Too much cloth to take in? Some are really nice. It would be a shame to waste them.

I have taken a look at Brooks Brothers, but I really do not want to spend 500 + on one suit. Rather buy on ebay and just spend the extra 100 or so on tailoring one of the ones above. My waist in jeans is like a 32.

My body size is very similar to yours. I wear a 40 suit but i have about a 32 waist. You'd probably be best off getting a 40 suit and having the chest taken in if needed. A 38 may be too small.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
In my opinion, (must make it my opinion so the litigious guys at overstock don't sue me) Overstock carries a lot of junk. In addition, their prices are not very good. They have poor customer service, terrible return policies, treat their employees and vendors poorly, and is just a very difficult company to work with. I would avoid them at all costs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads