1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

buying suits at STP

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Widofornia, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Magnanimist

Magnanimist Active Member

Well said Archibald L. I agree with you fully!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. comrade

comrade Senior member

Sadly, STP no longer carries Belvest, which they did with a large inventory, a few years back.
    It is the equal and possibly superior to Isaia and tend to fit me better. I have one Isaia jacket from
    them which is my go-to lightweight blue blazer. They no longer carry the model.

3. Widofornia

Widofornia Active Member

Thanks to all for the advice. The MTM point is well taken and was considered but the OTR Isaias I tried looked and felt great. Here in Boston I don't think $1000 MTM gets you the same fabric and construction as well but I'd love to hear if I'm wrong.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I thought Lim's operation was closer to bespoke--you got at least one and maybe two fittings. I don't remember the particulars, but I think somebody said his price for a 2-piece from something like VBC 110 was around $1,200, so $1,000 sounds optimistic unless he does fused.

Ditto, I suspect Hemrajani is going to be more than $1K with any kind of worthwhile fabric these days. I believe Chan is now up to around $1,400 for their entry-level suits.

5. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

If you paid $1,000 for a ready-to-wear suit, then you don't know anything about "due diligence."

6. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

No it's not. I have a bunch of sammy mtm and you're looking at well over a g for anything with good fabric. SC's will cost you 12-1300 in the heavier oz wools.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  7. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Well, I can only tell you what I paid him. Which was a grand. Maybe he will charge you more.

8. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Should have qualified my post. In Canada you can find Samuelsohn mtm for 1k or even cheaper in some cases. My apologies.

9. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

I love how this thread has virtually nothing to do with the question posted by the OP.

SOTD: Creed Aventus.

10. JDMills

JDMills Senior member

Here in Montreal, Samuelsohn is about 1k maybe 1200 for a Mtm 2 piece, helps that the factory is practically downtown.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Was quoted $1,400 at a recent trunk show in Chicago for a basic navy suit with B fabric.

12. Widofornia

Widofornia Active Member

Moderately insulting and totally unhelpful. Your contribution to the thread is appreciated.

13. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

He's trolling you. No one would seriously claim that $1,000 is too much for any ready-to-wear suit. Such a blanket statement would obviously include the likes of Tom Ford, Oxxford, Kiton, Brioni, Attolini, etc.

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

+1

I'd drop 1k on an Isaia or TF.

For $1k I think the following brands are worthwhile:

TF, RLPL, Isaia, Brioni, Sartorio, Oxxford, Kiton, Attolini, Sartorio Parma (although you can find it much cheaper than 1k), Lanvin (also made by Caruso to very high standards) and anything by St. Andrews.

Sorry to derail back to Samuelsohn, but if you live in a border state, it might be worthwhile to get a Sammy mtm in Canada. Harry Rosen had a recent MTM promotion where 'A-fabric' suits were $949 and 'B fabrics' were $1049.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  15. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

This.

16. Widofornia

Widofornia Active Member

The suit arrived and is really nice. Fit the same as the ones I tried on in stores. Only minor alterations needed so I'm going to keep it. I appreciate the opinions.