1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying some Mephisto shoes...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbadbuff, Nov 26, 2004.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

stuck in a bad spot; threw out my old brown 'everyday' shoes due to age a week or 2 ago, thinking I would start wearing a new pair of Johnston and Murphys I got a while back. Don't know why it didn't happen in the store, but they are uncomfortable as HELL. The left shoe dug into my pinky toe so bad today after wearing them for only 2 hours that it rubbed raw and bled, not to mention having no support in the footbed  [​IMG] I have flat feet, left is wider than the right but right is longer, so finding good shoes that do not hurt after a brief period of wear is HARD. Went to my local shoe store thinking I could get something on clearance, and tried on some Mephistos... I know they are not well thought of here but I thought they were really, really comfortable and plenty wide for me. The looks were not wonderful by any means, and I hate that freaking nametag on every pair- but I'm going to get some anyway. After selling a lot on Ebay in the last few weeks I have hardly any shoes left, so these will be great as tweeners. Retail is laughable, Ebay seems to have some excellent deals though. Anyone care to comment on why they like/dislike the shoes? I'd appreciate recommendations of similar brand alternatives if anyone has any as well. This is the model I'll be getting, followed by the one I want: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

Style is in the eye of the beholder, but as far as construction is concerned, Mephisto is as good as it gets. Very well made with top notch materials. I have yet to hear one negative comment about them.

3. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I find Mephisto shoes pretty unattractive. Indeed, many look extremely orthopedic and like they should be worn by 75-year olds. That said, they are very comfortable. I think the sole has some sort of natural substance that over time molds to the shape of your foot. With shoes, women have long grappled with the dilemma of look vs. comfort, the latter often suffering for the sake of the former. In my opinion, Mephistos are a clear indication that this predicament is not merely limited to women.

4. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Which is completely bewildering to me. I know full well there are PLENTY of people out there in my situation- that want good looking, classic, comfortable shoes- but have foot problems that knock most shoes off the list. In all honesty the shoes I've owned from Skechers, J Crew, etc. have blown the doors off Alden, Allen Edmonds, Ferragamo, etc. in terms of sheer comfort. Now maybe 1 or 2 of those were ill fitting somehow but not all.

It must be that it is a very hard combo to achieve b/c few seem to be doing the looks/comfort thing with success. Checking out Ecco and Clarks as we speak...

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

I would never buy a pair for biz casual wear. I would buy a pair to wear to Disney World in the summer when I take my daughter, or if I were to go on a long walk. Just as I would never wear my C&J handgrades for Disney or the long walks.
    To each shoe its purpose.

6. PHV

PHV Senior member

Did you buy that jacket?

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

No, couldn't justify it. Loved it, but really don't need it right now.

8. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Yes, but do you have any foot problems? If not I agree with you 100%.

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

My father wears Mephisto pretty much exclusively. I don't get why they have to be so ugly though. I can understand, and can't fault people who wear them, but why do style and stability have to be opposites with these shoes?

Looked again, The one you want is far better. Get that.

10. Stu

Stu Senior member

(Stu @ 26 Nov. 2004, 5:14) I would never buy a pair for biz casual wear. I would buy a pair to wear to Disney World in the summer when I take my daughter, or if I were to go on a long walk.  Just as I would never wear my C&J handgrades for  Disney or the long walks. To each shoe its purpose.
    Yes, but do you have any foot problems? If not I agree with you 100%.
    Fortunately I don't have feet problems. Just a quirk in that on foot is about a half-size smaller than the other. But I love Memphisto, and in fact have on my list a pair of The Match in bone, but plan to use them strictly for walking purposes. I feel for you though. Perhaps there are orthopedic inserts you can put in better shoes so you don't have to wear them for everyday business use.

11. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

Have you considered Ecco? They make comfortable shoes that are a little more fashionable.

12. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I looked at theirs, but all their casual shoes have a real glossy look to them. Maybe they are better in person (and I'll definitely check) but on the internet they're too shiny for me...

13. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I know a shoe salesman at Barneys, and Mephisto's are one of his favorite shoes. He says that they are the most comfortable shoes. He spends most of the day on his feet either standing or running to the stockroom.

I have two pair. They are the most comfortable shoes that I own. I favor them for casual wear.

Fortunately, I find traditional footwear comfortable, and I have no fit problems. Therefore, most of the time I wear traditional, English shoes. However, if you have a comfort or fit problem, I recommend Mephisto's.

14. tedbearz

tedbearz Senior member

How about Dr. Martens? [​IMG]

15. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

I´d second the Eccos. I´ve tried Mephistos, but I find Eccos to be more comfortable. I did so after a horrific broken Achilles tendon, when I desparately needed something comfortable. Eccos were once very unstylish, but I believe their new models (such as New Walkathon) are much better esthetically.

Of course, foot comfort depends very much on the individual. I suggest walking as much as the store will let you prior to buying anything.

Steve

16. jekv12

jekv12 Senior member

I have a pair of Mephistos. They're definitely not dress shoes, but I do wear them with khakis, to/from the golf course, with jeans, running errands on weekends, etc. They are rather comfortable, but on the big/boxy side. In fact, I took a 1/2 size smaller than I usually do, and even they feel kind of roomy. But there is plenty of room for orthotics.

They are built well, mine have leather lining which adds to the comfort, and I don't think twice about wearing them in inclement weather.

17. Shirtmaven

Shirtmaven Senior member Dubiously Honored

I also have a pair of Mephisto's that I bought in Paris on sale. They are a little pricey in the USA. My ugly Rockports are the most comfortable of any of my shoes.

I also have lousey feet and need the support and the room for my orthotics.

This week end I was going though my father's closet and trying on some of his Lobb's. as well as other high end Italian slip ons. I found them so uncomfortble. Is there an ebay market for used high end shoes? He is getting rid of some beautiful shoes.

18. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

From what I've seen, there definitely is a market for used high-end shoes. I think it would be worth your (or his) time, even if you're not making a fortune selling them.

19. AJL

AJL Senior member

bbb-

Custom orthotics (inserts) is something you should seriously consider. Five years ago, my foot discomfort reached a point where I had trouble standing for more than 10 minutes, let alone walking. Went to a podiatrist, got checked out (turns out I have plantar fasciitis), and for the price of a decent pair of shoes--about $375-- I had custom inserts made. It was the best $375 I've ever spent and within a couple months, the pain in my feet had almost completely subsided.

Granted, you have not indicated you have an actual painful foot condition, though with flat feet I believe you are more susceptible to the type of condition I've described. I've heard people say they have trouble fitting their inserts into certain tighter-fitting dress shoes, though I find I am able to fit mine into my C&J's as well as some others. On a side note, I actually find my Savile's rather comfortable and supportive; don't know if others feel the same in regards to their C&J handgrades.

20. matcha

matcha Well-Known Member

Mephisto's looks don't appeal to me, and the presence of a label on the outside of most of their labels appeals even less. They seem expensive for the look you get.

I have a pair of their clogs and they've lasted forever.

For a while my feet were bothering me, and I got a prescription for custom orthotics. I was able to avoid buying the orthotics with these alternatives that were comfy and fashionable:

1. Ferragamo makes synthetic soled shoes, I forgot the model names, they are great looking and comfortable. I added a Spenco liner.

2. Tod's are very comfy, I have a pair. Clunky but cool. People always ask me who makes them and I think that's a compliment.

Ecco shoes are supposed to be comfy but I they're a less expensive look and quality than the Ferragamos and Tod's, and also have the brand name on the outside of the shoe. (Tod's has a T on the outside but you can barely see it). You could always get New Balance walking sneakers, which even come in widths. Consumer Reports did an a review of the most comfy walking shoes, and NB usually does well.