• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Second Hand Suits In A Much Bigger Size and Having Them Tailored, Good Idea?

maseace007

Reaction score
I recently purchased a worn once mainline Corneliani tuxedo that was a US size 52R. I wear a 42L. The tuxedo was in such great shape (only worn once) and such a great deal (only $50.00) that I scooped it up. I spent another $100.00 to have it tailored so it would fit. I am happy with it.

However, I've been warned by friends recently that purchasing suits that are way too big and then having them tailored to fit me is not a good idea. One of the concerns that was brought to my attention was the arm holes. Thoughts on that? I often find second hand suits not in my size that are high quality, relatively inexpensive and in fantastic shape.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say that's not a good idea. I don't know how your tailor managed to alter that--it's not an alteration, it's a whole-sale recutting, effectively taking the entire suit apart and using the fabric as base for a new suit. There are a WHOLE lot of things that can go wrong there--armholes are but one of many. Literally every single thing about the suit would have to be recut. Not sure who you found to do it for $100...

UrbanAesthetics

Reaction score
I'm glad that your satisfied with the overall fit, but yes. Buying suits larger than your original size is a dangerous gamble that you don't want to get yourself into. Arm holes are generally the biggest problem because there's nothing tailors can do to alter it without completely destroying the suit's blazer. Just think about the risks in case you think about gambling like this ever again. But hey, you got it at a bargain price, it fits, and your satisfied...Well Done.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
I tried it. Never again. Just buy one that fits.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by maseace007
I recently purchased a worn once mainline Corneliani tuxedo that was a US size 52R. I wear a 42L. The tuxedo was in such great shape (only worn once) and such a great deal (only $50.00) that I scooped it up. I spent another $100.00 to have it tailored so it would fit. I am happy with it.

However, I've been warned by friends recently that purchasing suits that are way too big and then having them tailored to fit me is not a good idea. One of the concerns that was brought to my attention was the arm holes. Thoughts on that? I often find second hand suits not in my size that are high quality, relatively inexpensive and in fantastic shape.

Troll Post

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
I do this with underwear.

haha. bringin teh lulz

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The tailor was kind of skeptical at first, but he quickly came on board once he realized that by cutting down the oversized briefs and reassembling the excess fabric, he could net an extra pair for himself.

Wolfador

Reaction score
Originally Posted by softy
The tailor was kind of skeptical at first, but he quickly came on board once he realized that by cutting down the oversized briefs and reassembling the excess fabric, he could net an extra pair for himself.

I recommend this only when the larger sizes are the same price, some companies charge more for the larger sizes and thus this becomes cost prohibitive.

WorkingOnIt

Reaction score
I would recommend against resizing. The armholes are just one of several issues that will throw off the balance of your suit. The armhole may be tightened up when they take it in from the sides, but still. The front pockets very likely will look too far off to the sides if you are resizing such a large jacket. Also, you better have a REALLY good tailor as they are basically reconstructing the suit.

I would only consider resizing from one size up after most.

GradSchooler

Reaction score
How is it possible that your tailor turned a 52R into a 42L for only $100? I can't imagine it actually "fits." The shoulders have to be HUGE and the pants must be a mess.

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Agreed, I can't imagine how that would be possible. It's one thing turning a small 44R into a 42R, but going from 52R to 42L? The tailor basically charged $100 to make a new suit using the fabric of the original suit.

Originally Posted by GradSchooler
How is it possible that your tailor turned a 52R into a 42L for only $100? I can't imagine it actually "fits." The shoulders have to be HUGE and the pants must be a mess.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a very silly idea - you cannot recut a suit to that extent -= balance and proportion simply will be lost.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads