• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Santoni online.

mattjames

Reaction score
I have found what is almost my perfect shoe on this site:

http://www.armenak.fr/produits/descr...d_produit=1222

But I'm not sure if they sell mailorder, and they're in France. I fired off an email but I'm not sure where that'll lead.

I've been through the thread with links to retailers (which is where I found that site) but I can find nowhere else.

This site has some wonderful looking shoes in a similar style, but it's not a retail site.

http://www.net.esa-paris.fr/~alexis_...ssouliers.html

So I'm not stuck on only Santoni. Does anyone know of any online stores that might have what I'm after?

mattjames

Reaction score

mattjames

Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
dont fret, those santonis on that website all seem to be made with the same exact pointy last. and they seem to be orange-NON serrated insole santonis, which means they are of a lower line.

But they're still a fine shoe, are they not? They're not exactly dirt cheap.

mattjames

Reaction score
yes, they are a fine shoe still, not dirt cheap of course.
but im stating they are from the lower line of FAM.
just seeing the bright side as you cannot order over phone.

Not a bright side as I still badly want them.
smile.gif

Can you tell me what FAM means?

EvEr37

Reaction score
dont fret, those santonis on that website all seem to be made with the same exact pointy last. and they seem to be orange-NON serrated insole santonis, which means they are of a lower line.

Can you clear that up for me. Not sure I understand what you mean by orange NON serrated?? Always looking to learn a bit more

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dior and myself have a fondness for Santonis, but he definitely knows a lot more about the shoemaker than I do.

I e-mailed Armenak back in October 2006. They responded they had the shoes I wanted (C&Js), gave me a price, said "transport" would "not cost more than 50 Euros". They gave me account info so that I could wire them payment. First, I don't even know how to wire payment, and second I didn't feel comfortable doing it, especially with what appeared to be a non-exact price quote on shipping. I asked follow up e-mails (2 of them) about getting the VAT refund, therefore a new price quote, and whether I could pay by credit card (better protection from my perspective). I got no further response to any of those e-mails.

Just as a disclaimer for buying shoes on-line, especially from a store that doesn't focus on on-line and overseas sales (such as Plal's great customer service)/ Since these are the European Santonis, you don't know your exact size, and they don't have their equivalent here for you to try on. It's just inviting huge headache. I wouldn't do it if I were you. Ex. I typically where an 11D, sometimes 10.5. I had to buy US. 10D in my Santoni Fams. No way in hell I would have known that if I couldn't try them on my self. Shipping shoes back and forth internationally is a headache and costly.

Serrated ege socks means Santoni FAMS where the inner lining is literally slightly serrated on the edges. I suppose it is mean to indicate higher quality, more substantial shoes. Just like any maker has different levels of quality, serrated edges are suppose to indicate this vs. their non-serrated shoes. Not to say they make the exact same shoe in a serrated vs. non-serrated, it may be a variation of it, but not the same shoe. Example, Santoni Fritz vs. Santoni Bairds, the Fritz being Serrated Ege. The Bairds look just like them, being lont split toe algonquins, but they seem to be on a slighlty different last with a more rounded toe, and the inner sock lining is not serrated, and they run about $125 cheaper at retail.

Edit: add more info.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
it is difficult and lengthy to explain, you can probably do a search on this topic here and turn up some stuff but everyone's explanation differs by a little bit.

this is a nutshell from me:

US line FAM : tan

serrated handwritten insole: top goodyear/bentivegna
non serrated handwritten insole: goodyear . less antiquing maybe blake
serrated santoni stamped insole : goodyear classics top range
non serrated stamped insole: bologna classics

Limited Editions: whole different category

European market has both tan and orange insoles
with a variety of combinations of serrated , non serrated, handwriten, stamped, limited editions, etc.
orange insole meaning mostly blake and they are usually non serrated, i just noted that on my description but it was redundant.
blake is usually construction wise more simple than goodyear,bologna, or bentivegna. not premium construction.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Dior and myself have a fondness for Santonis, but he definitely knows a lot more about the shoemaker than I do.

Serrated ege socks means Santoni FAMS where the inner lining is literally slightly serrated on the edges. I suppose it is mean to indicate higher quality, more substantial shoes. Just like any maker has different levels of quality, serrated edges are suppose to indicate this vs. their non-serrated shoes. Not to say they make the exact same shoe in a serrated vs. non-serrated, it may be a variation of it, but not the same shoe. Example, Santoni Fritz vs. Santoni Bairds, the Fritz being Serrated Ege. The Bairds look just like them, but they seem to be on a slighlty different last, and the inner sock lining is not serrated, and they run about $125 cheaper.

Hi teddie, I try to know more but the more i find out the more i get confused myself.

the bairds are also exclusive to certain retailers like ben silver and i dont know if it is serrated or non. while the fritz is a serrated edge , it is the US FAM goodyear make for nordstrom and Santoni NYC. the ones you have are a 4 digit number , 6548? something like that which is a European bentivegna make that is exclusive to Nordstrom and guffeys in US. it is not the US fritz . it is the european 6548, which shares the same last/style as the US fritz. just different construction and antique.

mattjames

Reaction score
I wired payment somewhere last week, it's quite simple. But if they are unwilling to take a creditcard then that seems a little strange. They probably do, after all, accept them in-store.

I'm was surprised just how difficult and limited you are if you wish to buy high-end designer clothes online, and shoe shopping is proving just as difficult.

martinsth

Reaction score
Does anybody know of any European online retailers selling Santoni shoes? I´ve only been able to find US retailers so far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads