• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Rimowa in Japan

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well it's ubiquitous here, and that combined with the haul that I want to bring home has led me to give in to my urge for an aluminium case.

Is there any price variation between different stores, or am I going to overpay regardless?

I'm thinking one of the mid-sized Topas four-wheelers. In Kyoto today but heading to Osaka tomorrow then Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Kagoshima. The sooner the better, but I'll hold out if I can save a bit.

Domo arigato gozaimasu for your assistance!

jasonmx3

Reaction score
They're usually cheaper if you buy them online (as compared to buying them at a B&M store). Try Rakuten and just have it delivered to one of your destinations. It'll be cheaper by at least 50-100$.

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
Prices in Japan are quite fixed. There isn't much difference no matter which shop you go to. Unless the shop is having a sale, of course.

If you can wait, try ordering from Germany. It will save you a lot of money.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Rimowas are incredibly overpriced in Japan, the prices are unreal if you do the exchange rate and then compare to Euro prices; if it's just about buying it as a status item, things like that in Japan stayed fixed and there aren't really any deals on them.

I say if you just want plastic roller that looks clean, Muji has some good ones. I have 3 identical ones; I've put 50,000 miles on one in this year alone and it still works great, looks great. 20,000Y

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a cheaper option, have you considered the polycarbonate Rimowa range? You can get cases in black and in a range of eyecatching colours and I assume that they are quite a bit cheaper than the aluminium Rimowa cases.

Also, I've heard that the aluminium cases dent and scratch pretty easily, so the polycarbonate is most likely a more practical option, as well as being cheaper.

As you've noted, it's ubiquitous in Japan, so you should be able to pick some up in many of the large department stores or in Tokyu Hands (luggage is "nimotsu"' by the way, or "suutsukeesu").

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks chaps. I had initially planned to get something from Muji, but was a bit underwhelmed when I saw them in the flesh. Also, the model I would have gotten would have cost some $200, and I got to thinking that I should just spend the extra money and get what I actually want. In other words, the classic SF justification for spending a lot on something. Plus, it will last a very very long time.

I thought about Rakuten, bit I'm moving around enough that it's hard to predict where I'll be. I feel like the money saved on seeing a doctor for my back will probably justfify the expenditure!

MrNorway

Reaction score
Hey! This is a bit off topic though, but I must recommend if you're still in Japan, and even better, in Fukuoka, you'll have to try the ramen there. If you not already have. Hakata ramen is the best there is. Just a cultural recommendation for you;) Hope you're enjoying your time there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads