• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying replica watches?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Heh. I don't mind if it's a not known or expensive brand. But I couldn't find anything that came close to this:

http://www.finestwatches.com/a-lange...tik-12746.html

product-zoom-a-lange-sohne-grand-saxonia-automatik-12746.jpg

Maybe someone can recommend a cheaper brand that wouldn't be a fake but looked similar?

It depends on what it is that you really like about the watch (is it the dial, the rounded bezel?).

For example, these have a somewhat similar dial designs but different hands and case

1238754818-14724.jpg
D_803_ZuerichAnt_464x396.jpg

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It depends on what it is that you really like about the watch (is it the dial, the rounded bezel?). For example, these have a somewhat similar dial designs but different hands and case
1238754818-14724.jpg
D_803_ZuerichAnt_464x396.jpg

I like the hands and the dial on the A. Lange. The watches that you posted all have either large Roman numerals or large hour marks. I was looking for something more elegant. I do like the Stowa though. What does it cost?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
830 euro

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Tell us, how exactly do you know its a fake?

The only time I ever suspected fakery was the wrong person wearing the wrong watch. You know what I mean.

Otherwise, these fakes are so precise I dont know how you could tell unless you inspected it closely.

Take Rolex for example, on all but the bext modified versions, the crown guards are always wrong. Also, the crown position tends to be low, and the steel they use does not have the same shine as 904L due to lower nickel content. Of course this stuff is usually only visible up close, but I know what you mean about the "wrong person wearing the wrong watch" as that's the easiest way to tell.

On non-rolex models, the AR-coating is usually either missing or too blue, unless it has been modified.

There are two large forums where people modify and sell fakes, and you would be amazed at the lengths people go to to make them appear real.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
830 euro

Not too expensive for a watch, but I'm on a tight budget this year. I was hoping for something around 200 bucks.

Does anyone have any experience with fakes? Are they well-made?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once again, I'm not trying to impress anyone by the price-tag. I just want to get a design like this, because I absolutely love it. If there is a way to get something as beautiful for 200-300 dollars without it being a fake, I would like to know it.

Well let us know exactly what model you want, and I'm sure you can find something close. There are many, many homage brands that replicate the look of expensive watches. They're not always the best quality, but the look will be close and they will either have sterile dials or a fancy sounding brand like "Lucien Piccard" that know one will recognize.

Some brands include Alpha, Parnis, Marina Militare, Orange Watch Company, ESQ, Steinhart, Grovana, Manbushije (Ebay seller you might be able to contact), etc.

For better quality and still affordable, look at Victorinox/Swiss Army, Tissot, Hamilton, etc.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had some fakes, (used to sell them in U) and I have developed a pretty strong opinion to stay away. First of all, who likes fake anything? It impresses no one, even if it looks cool. The quality is really below sub par, I mean, they could break down in a week, a month, who knows. The seller doesn't build them to last and doesn't care. My Gucci started with a vertical stripe and within a month became horizontal. The Movado diamond glue wore off in two weeks and fell off.

Finally, think about the industry you are supporting. Don't mean to geek out or Dad out on you, but this is essentially a criminal industry. People making these things are in sweatshops. I can't feel good about supporting it.

Peace.

imschatz

Reaction score
Not too expensive for a watch, but I'm on a tight budget this year. I was hoping for something around 200 bucks.

Hugo Boss. Lots of pretty slick watches for around $200. I have http://watchit.ca/mens9.html

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PM me if you want the name of the two forums where they're discussed...but I wouldn't do it personally, way too much info and unreliable sellers.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Well let us know exactly what model you want, and I'm sure you can find something close. There are many, many homage brands that replicate the look of expensive watches. They're not always the best quality, but the look will be close and they will either have sterile dials or a fancy sounding brand like "Lucien Piccard" that know one will recognize.

Some brands include Alpha, Parnis, Marina Militare, Orange Watch Company, ESQ, Steinhart, Grovana, Manbushije (Ebay seller you might be able to contact), etc

The one I posteed is the one I'm trying to find:

A. Lange & Sohne Grand Saxonia Automatik

http://www.finestwatches.com/a-lange...tik-12746.html

Thanks for your input, guys!

And Rooster, I understand what you mean. It's a good point and it made me think.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You do not need to buy replicas and try to have something look like what it is not. If you want to get a decent watch, look at homage watches, that look like other watch brands styles, but do not use fake dials and parts to come off as a genuine. I have high end watches, but also have a couple of the homage watches also. It is just not practical to always be wearing a 6-20K watch. Homage watches are great because they can be inexpensive and still work well.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Take Rolex for example, on all but the bext modified versions, the crown guards are always wrong. Also, the crown position tends to be low, and the steel they use does not have the same shine as 904L due to lower nickel content. Of course this stuff is usually only visible up close, but I know what you mean about the "wrong person wearing the wrong watch" as that's the easiest way to tell.

On non-rolex models, the AR-coating is usually either missing or too blue, unless it has been modified.

There are two large forums where people modify and sell fakes, and you would be amazed at the lengths people go to to make them appear real.

Gotcha. It requires a close inspection -were on the same page. But a guy in line at the grocery store, right age, right golf shirt, right tan, etc, and you wouldnt look twice at the watch except to admire it. He'd fool you 95% of the time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads