• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buying oxford for the first time

Reaction score
As graduation is coming up, I think that it's finally the time that I can wear an Oxford, so I am getting one. As I have some credits left at MatchesFashion after a refund, I find that this might work for me:

https://www.matchesfashion.com/us/p...eather-oxford-shoes-1210572?productSize=20437

Does this look fine serving as a proper formal Oxford shoes? and how do Louboutins hold up as well? Is the quality average aside the brand's name? I plan to use this for internships or daily work, so I want something that would hold for years.

I am considering some C&J as well https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/m...item-12320417.aspx?storeid=10907&from=listing

Would love to get some John Lobb or EG but they cost above $1000 so it's above my budget.

Will the Louboutin work for me? The C&J or a Ferragamo would still work within my budget.

Oshare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As graduation is coming up, I think that it's finally the time that I can wear an Oxford, so I am getting one. As I have some credits left at MatchesFashion after a refund, I find that this might work for me:

https://www.matchesfashion.com/us/p...eather-oxford-shoes-1210572?productSize=20437

Does this look fine serving as a proper formal Oxford shoes? and how do Louboutins hold up as well? Is the quality average aside the brand's name? I plan to use this for internships or daily work, so I want something that would hold for years.

I am considering some C&J as well https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/m...item-12320417.aspx?storeid=10907&from=listing

Would love to get some John Lobb or EG but they cost above $1000 so it's above my budget.

Will the Louboutin work for me? The C&J or a Ferragamo would still work within my budget.

Personally, I would go for the C&J Oxfords without a second thought, especially if you plan to use them for daily work and want them to last for years. Later get a second pair or two of good shoes, so you can start to rotate and not wear the same shoes day after day.

The Louboutins -look- nice and sleek, but the soles appear very thin (and Blake or Blake rapid rather than GYW) and are likely meant for fashion rather than comfort or longevity.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thin soles like the Louboutins will be more flexible and that might provide greater comfort for you but they will wear out faster and provide less protection for the uppers. The C&Js won't be as flexible but they will last much longer.

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My 2 CT’s:

If you plan on wearing these shoes 5 days a week:
1) get one other/different pair next to one of these
2) split the budget between two shoes and get that (say two pairs or Carlos santos or skoaks house brand or something like that. Say a black and dark brown pair but will depend on industry/country)

If you wear one pair every day you’ll be wearing them down like crazy...shoes need some rest

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely start with two pair and rotate them. I've been very happy with the black calf C&J cap toes I've been wearing for years. I would not spend my money on the Louboutins, too much of the price is in the trademark and not enough is in the materials and construction.

palk

Reaction score
Those C&J are a great choice; my vote is for them, wholeheartedly. If you catch the itch and want to explore more possibilities, I suggest the thread on "Black Cap Toe Oxfords" and the thread on "English Shoe Quality Hierarchy." Between them, you should be able to find what's best for you and your budget.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hung-Wei Long

Reaction score
The quality of menswear for price (ie value) has vastly increased since just a few years ago, so brand names don't carry as much weight as they used to. So, you should be able to get a very high quality Oxford shoe for under $500. In general, Italian construction is still the best, so any brand made there should be fine.

Kushcoma9000

Reaction score
The quality of menswear for price (ie value) has vastly increased since just a few years ago, so brand names don't carry as much weight as they used to. So, you should be able to get a very high quality Oxford shoe for under $500. In general, Italian construction is still the best, so any brand made there should be fine.
You have to really define "best". If you're looking for a sleeker shoe, italian construction (aka Blake stitching) or Bologna is the way to go (doesn't mean you can't still get sleek shoes with a goodyear welt or hand welt, etc). But they're less durable and less water proof. A goodyear welted construction would be more durable than a Blake stitched one. Hand welted is the best imo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads