Buying my first suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by R D K, May 3, 2013.

1. R D K

R D K Active Member

Got it, good advice, thanks!

2. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

i think i'm all the way with you on this one. they are great-looking suits with decent construction but are too progressive for a first suit. just not business conservative enough. i would wear one to xmas parties or banquets but wouldn't wear it to any formal interviews/board exam/courtroom. not at the beginning of one's career anyway.

i know a lot of people might disagree but i guess this is why everyone's got a different sense of style.

3. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Senior member

Have you read the giant SuitSupply thread? Wealth of information there.

I'm 5'11'' ~155 lbs, judging by your picture I think we have similar builds. Just finished tailoring up a 36r Sienna from SuitSupply, and the fit sounds like what you are looking for. The Sienna isn't as slim fitting as some of their other cuts like the Washington, but is still slim without being constrictive. I paid about $100 bucks to get it tailored, pants hemmed, waist taken in, sleeves lengthened and was brought in a bit in the body of the jacket.

YMMV, but if you have the ability to go to a SuitSupply store do so and see what works for you.

4. R D K

R D K Active Member

Maybe it's just very different here in the Netherlands from how it is in the USA, I've been to almost every major accounting firm here (KPMG, PWC, Ernst en Young, Delloitte) and slim fits like these are almost the norm here. Anyway I still appreciate the advice, I will consult with the tailor to hear what he has to say about it.

Cool to hear some info from someone with a very similar build.
    I will definately try on both the Sienna and the Napoli after reading your comment.

5. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

You're young, fit, and Dutch! You should be dressing like the SuitSupply pictures, not like conservative Americans! I spend lots of time at banks, law firms and other businesses every day here in Germany's business capital. Take your style cues from what you see around you, not the other side of the ocean. :)

6. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

+1. This.

doctorman - too many americans are fat. just because you're in shape doesn't mean your suit is "progressive". Fit has been talked about for enough years that as long as you're not sporting a Topman pencil-thin suit with the jacket cut barely below your waist, no one is going to bat an eye. Fitted but not tight is the mark of someone in shape. But as you say, everyone's view and sense of style is different. so my general view is to find what works for your body type, what makes you feel confident, then rock the hell out of it.

7. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

+1!!!

8. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

you might have misunderstood my intention. i'm a big fan of suitsupply and RLBL, both of which i consider quite "progressive" and appropriate for many occasions. my point is simply, as a first suit and for someone just starting off his career, one might want to lean a little towards conservative side (in this case, a conservative side of suitsupply). this has nothing to do with fat americans.

one thing i must admit - i may not fully appreciate the cultural differences between continental europe and north america. if everyone in your firm wears suitsupply then i think you'll blend right in with a suitsupply. on the other hand, if everyone wears a brooks brothers and you, at the beginning of your career, wears a suitsupply, people might think you've got something to prove. of course, when you become the company's CEO, you can wears shorts and a t shirt to work everyday.

9. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Member

You also have the option to not reply, especially if it bothers you this much. In fact, you don't even have to read the thread at all if you find it so bothersome. This may be a shocker but just because there is a thread on a given topic, doesn't mean that it answered every possible curiosity. Gasp!

10. CousinDonuts

And sometimes the young guy has to show the old guys that he's gunnin for them. Some would argue that showing up looking suave and confident is firing the first shot.

11. Veremund

Veremund Senior member

I think people will just think he looks good.

12. R D K

R D K Active Member

You're right :)
    +1, this is exactly what I want as well, a suit to compliment my phisque, fitted but not tight is a very accurate description of what I'm looking for.

Last edited: May 11, 2013

13. R D K

R D K Active Member

Ok, so I've made my choice on a dark navy blue suit.
    Now I just need to know what you guys recommend as a shirt/tie combination?
    I was thinking about either a white shirt with a brown or purple tie, or a light blue shirt with a navy blue tie.

Last edited: May 13, 2013

14. CousinDonuts

You're only going to buy one shirt and one tie?

15. R D K

R D K Active Member

Probably more, just looking for good combinations.