• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first suit

golfer1

Reaction score
Was thinking about these shoes 1 is steve madden and 2 is kenneth cole reaction and 3 is calvin klein

shoes_iaec1112969.jpg

Shoes_iAEC1074464.jpg

Shoes_iAEC1058760.jpg

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Hold on before you buy any of those! What's you price range for shoes?

Artigas

Reaction score
You will find most SFers possess a distaste for square toes. I'm inclined to agree.

golfer1

Reaction score
around 100 for shoes give or take

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you're only going to own one pair of good shoes I would definitely go with a lace-up, probably an Oxford. Something simple you can wear with everything from a suit to jeans. Try to get the most versatility you can.

As mentioned above, the general consensus here is that square toes are undesirable. I'm not as hard-line as a lot of people here, I think it's possible to pull off a square toe if it's done right, but I definitely would not buy a square toe as my only dress shoe. That's something you can try out as your wardrobe grows.

At your price point, I'm not sure where to recommend. Maybe try the buying and selling forum here, though that can be spotty. I was on Sierra Trading Post earlier looking at some stuff, and I don't recall seeing anything in that range, but I would check it out. A lot of people here would say it's beneath them, but I would also hit someplace like Macy's. You can probably find a shoe there that does what you want for a decent price. It's not going to be the high end stuff to which many SFers are accustomed, but it will suit probably suit your purposes just fine. You're not at a point where it makes sense to drop a ton of money on a pair of dress shoes. One word of advice: Regardless of where you buy your shoes, DO NOT buy rubber-soled dress shoes. Just don't.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by golfer1
Was thinking about these shoes 1 is steve madden and 2 is kenneth cole reaction and 3 is calvin klein
DO NOT WANT. I think you can do a lot better than any of those shoes, as said above get some proper lace-up oxfords.

qdogg29

Reaction score
I heard that Kenneth Cole Reactions are uncomfortable and cut up your heels after a day of walking. Never pay full price with a suit: Bloomingdale's is having a big sale in March, Saks and Nordstrom in June, and one does not infrequently find diamonds in the rough at Century 21, Saks OFF Fifth, Nordstrom's Rack, etc.

Zara and H&M' suits have that nice synthetic sheen to them and you essentially wouldn't reproach yourself for sullying. I don't know if you mentioned your arm length, however, as the former, particularly, is not that considerate to men with lengthy arms.

Invicta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by golfer1

KILL IT! KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Do not purchase any of those shoes. Ever. For $100 you're not going to be able to get a great shoe but there are certianly better options than those abominations. In college my go to black captoe was a Cole Haan I was able to get at a DSW for about $95 iirc. They didn't last past college but for 3 years it did the trick. As someone said above don't buy shoes with rubber soles.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are some pretty awful shoes...especially to go with a suit! If your budget is around $100, I'd check these out. Not the best quality but the styling is good, seems to have a decent leather sole. http://www.dsw.com/dsw_shoes/catalog...=161960&brand= I'd also like to give a +1 for the M. Valentino suits. I got one recently from a forum member and the quality is very high for the price paid. I just have to get some more waist suppression and the pants hemmed and then I'll be all set!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads