• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying my first suit, unsure about trouser fit

Satiar

Reaction score
Buying my first suit, and I'm having trouble with the trousers. I'm seeing some places that seem to fit them like jeans, but I always thought that they were supposed to be a bit looser then that. Really not sure.

I'd appreciate any feedback you can give me on the pants fit. Are they too loose/baggy? Apologies for low-res photos.

Last edited:

viator

Reaction score
Looks like you're wearing them too far down on your waist, which is making the inseam appear too long.

Satiar

Reaction score
Huh. The Belt buckle is visible in the first picture below the jacket opening... it's alright to wear them higher then that?

hugeevilrobot

Reaction score
Only if you want them to fit properly. Honestly, I'm kinda shocked that you aren't hanging bag over the waistband of the pants, since it looks like your belt buckle is several inches below the bottom button.

Those are definitely fairly full-cut trousers, bring them up to your natural waist and try again.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your pictures don't show much of the trouser. The main fitting area is hidden under the jacket and there is no way to see the profile of the trouser with only a front view. Agree that they are sliding down and not on your waist or sitting on your hip bone.

Last edited:

Tweedy

Reaction score
I agree, you have them sitting too low to get a good idea of fit... :)

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
your actual waist is just above the tips of your hip bone.
thats where the waist of the trousers should be.
thats so that when the belt is cinched up, the hip bones keep the trousers from falling down.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your pictures don't show much of the trouser. The main fitting area is hidden under the jacket and there is no way to see the profile of the trouser with only a front view. Agree that they are sliding down and not on your waist or sitting on your hip bone.

As ever the best advice that you can receive here. Suggest new photographs.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It's like low-rise jeans. You're wearing it too low on the hips.

hyt123

Reaction score
The angle of the shot also isn't helping. Take pictures at least somewhat level, and zoom the lens in a bit so you don't get the weird wide-angle distortions.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads