• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buying my first sportcoat, dknow size, pls help

bobe

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanna buy my first sportcoat, probably here on Styleforum, but do not know what size to take, I'm 21yr, 6 ft tall, 175 pounds, waist 34-35 and chest 41
please help, I'm pretty confused with size choosing
I was thinking about some RL black label, or something else similar, brand isn't question at all

thanks

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bobe
Hi everyone, I wanna buy my first sportcoat, probably here on Styleforum, but do not know what size to take, I'm 21yr, 6 ft tall, 175 pounds, waist 34-35 and chest 41
please help, I'm pretty confused with size choosing
I was thinking about some RL black label, or something else similar, brand isn't question at all

thanks

Well, brand really is kind of a question, since different brands (and different models!) fit differently.

If I were you, for a first sportcoat, I'd head to Brooks Brothers and let them put you into a navy blazer. Make sure you use a sales associate, because if you are used to wearing fleece sweatshirts you'll probably pick out something that's way too big. Ask them to write your measurements down for you, too. Now you have your measurements plus one properly-fitted navy blazer that you can use as a benchmark.

phillyesq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
If I were you, for a first sportcoat, I'd head to Brooks Brothers and let them put you into a navy blazer. Make sure you use a sales associate, because if you are used to wearing fleece sweatshirts you'll probably pick out something that's way too big. Ask them to write your measurements down for you, too. Now you have your measurements plus one properly-fitted navy blazer that you can use as a benchmark.

Great recommendation. Also, this probably goes without saying, but make sure that you are wearing the type of shirt that you would wear with the sport coat when you go to the store.

Even if you don't buy it from BB, and I realize that for a first sport coat, it can be expensive, you'll get good service, and good help determining your proper size, the proper fit, etc.

bobe

Reaction score
thanks for answers, "little problem" is I live in Croatia, 250 miles from capital which is probably the only place where I could find related clothing stores, so I'll go visit some local tailor to measure me, then will let you know (read: will ask for help again
redface.gif
)

all best

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics