• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Lots from liquidation websites, reselling it

ArteEtLabore14

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience doing this? How did it work out for you?

stormin10

Reaction score
It can work if your not in a hurry to filp the items. It has worked for me twice, however both times it took a solid 2 months to get everything sold, granted i made 2x in profits

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did this a few years back. The profit margins were pretty good, but you have to put a lot of work into it to make real money. It's not really worth it if you're thinking of doing it as a spare-time money maker.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sounds like a great way to lose money and get stuck with boatloads of overstocked or damaged goods. Rock on.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
as long as we're on the (related) topic, anyone know if there's a business to be had by going and buying up estate sale sections of clothes? I assume people always buy their furnature or accessories, but is there a hot market for clothes? I mean I'd rather buy a lot sale from an old rich dude and take 1/10 items and flip on the Bay then go to thrift stores and try to find stuff...

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rover!
^ Furniture can be used by anyone, but an old rich dude's clothes are usually only worn by other old dudes.

This. Aside from a tiny and hyper-specialized auction market -- access to which will not be possible for you -- you will not have any luck flipping estate sale clothes for anything more than a few bucks a piece on eBay or B&S. And respectable auction houses would rather buy directly from the estate sale than from some middle man, whose items were of uncertain provenance.

Another sad fact is that vintage clothing isn't worth much to most people. If it has historical significance or is a famous movie prop or something, that's one thing. But if it's just some old man's old clothing, no matter how nice, nobody will care.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
you will not have any luck flipping estate sale clothes for anything more than a few bucks a piece on eBay or B&S.

Not 100% true - I used to go to estate sales and do the grind for good clothes, made a few bucks. Its a lot of work doing the dig, but I found a tower of Loro Piana sweaters for $2/each, a few Armani suits for $10/each, lots of Burberry outerwear for $20/each, etc. etc. Sold it all for a healthy profit - but you need patience and lots of spare time in order to source the sales in the richest neighborhoods, and to get there mad early to beat the other flippers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads