• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying jeans in Japan???

Style_Deficit

Reaction score
1. I don't know squat about "good" jeans - I'm reading a LOT of info on this board, but I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of most of the makes being mentioned.

2. I'm badly in need of some new jeans - I've lost a fair bit of weight and all my old Levis (only brand I've ever bought) are starting to look like sh**e (and reading through this place, I'm getting worried they looked that way before when they still fitted...).

3. I'm off to Japan next week for a while and I've been reading good things about Japanese denim here.
Should I buy over there?
If so, any particular make to look out for?

If it matters, I tend to wear jeans with ankle boots or lace-up shoes.
I don't like it when they bunch up too much around the ankles.
And I don't want skin-tight legs, but a nice slim fit would suit me more than something baggy.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
45rpm sorahikos would be the way to go, IMO
can be had much cheaper there than anywhere
you like!

Style_Deficit

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip.

I also apologise for my question being so vague and general (and probably quite annoying). I know there are lists here of favourite denims, but I wouldn't know which ones are made in Japan or not.

At least I have something to work with now ... not to say further recommendations wouldn't be welcome ...

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style_Deficit
1. I don't know squat about "good" jeans - I'm reading a LOT of info on this board, but I'm ashamed to admit I've never heard of most of the makes being mentioned.

2. I'm badly in need of some new jeans - I've lost a fair bit of weight and all my old Levis (only brand I've ever bought) are starting to look like sh**e (and reading through this place, I'm getting worried they looked that way before when they still fitted...).

3. I'm off to Japan next week for a while and I've been reading good things about Japanese denim here.
Should I buy over there?
If so, any particular make to look out for?

If it matters, I tend to wear jeans with ankle boots or lace-up shoes.
I don't like it when they bunch up too much around the ankles.
And I don't want skin-tight legs, but a nice slim fit would suit me more than something baggy.

Any recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

there are 45rpm and pure blue and skull shops in Shibuya/harajuku.

otherwise, if strictly for denim, head to ueno for your best variety of smaller brands, ie sugarcane, samurai, bootleggers, etc.

Style_Deficit

Reaction score
Thank you. I'll definitely be spending a coupla days in Tokyo so I'll make a point of going to Ueno (just looked at the Samurai website and they have some nice looking stuff at what seem to be reasonable prices - certainly not a make I've ever seen in Germany).

Denim: I'm flying into Nagoya and kind of using that as my hub (for personal reasons ;-)) but I'll be heading out to places of greater interest (I guess that's any place other than Nagoya!) with my tour guide;: Tokyo, Kyoto, Hiroshima, Takayama. The usual places I guess.

Halifamous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style_Deficit
Denim: I'm flying into Nagoya and kind of using that as my hub (for personal reasons ;-)) but I'll be heading out to places of greater interest (I guess that's any place other than Nagoya!)
You ******.
frown.gif

ghostdeini

Reaction score
hey do the usual culprits of japanese denim (sugar cane, samurai, skulls) have retail locations in tokyo? I'm sure I could find this information if I looked harder, and I have a feeling the answer is going to be "yes". I would just like to go to tokyo armed with better knowledge than last year. I remember walking past the levi's store on meiji-dori (i think that's where it was) and saying to myself, "pffffftttt. I'm not going to waste my money on some jeans that I could easily get at home!"

Style_Deficit

Reaction score
Dunno about Tokyo (somebody here will though, I'd bet).
But my GF just sent me a link to the 45 rpm store in Nagoya, which is gonna be very handy

Anders

Reaction score
I'm sure I can find it somewhere else but since we're talking about it...

Where is the 45rpm store? I can't find it in the superfuture maps. Also, where could I find SDA's in Tokyo? Everyone talks about canes and sammies in Ueno, but no one mentions SDA's. I'm hoping/planning on going in March. Hopefully the new patch and arcuate will look good.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Anders
I'm sure I can find it somewhere else but since we're talking about it...

Where is the 45rpm store? I can't find it in the superfuture maps. Also, where could I find SDA's in Tokyo? Everyone talks about canes and sammies in Ueno, but no one mentions SDA's. I'm hoping/planning on going in March. Hopefully the new patch and arcuate will look good.

SDA's are available at Americaya in Ueno. Americaya also carries bootleggers brand, samurai, warehouse, levi's, etc...Hinoya is great too, they have oni, skull, sugarcane, etc. They're like 3 stores down from each other, Hinoya is on the corner...and americaya is in the middle of the road..

Anders

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was planning on going to Hinoy and Americaya but I didn't know they carried SDA.

Now the question is where I should go first, Harajaku with PBJ and 45rpm or Ueno with the rest... My goal is to get only one pair, but I have a feeling that is going to be very hard to stick to. All I know is I'm saving up for 2 months so I can have a 10 day Tokyo shopping spree.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads