buying from leathergoodsconnecti on help

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, Jan 30, 2008.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

hi

I live in Canada and since LGC is based in the USA if I order a belt or two from them will I be charged extra money by customs when the package enters Canada? does anyone here have any experience with this or know how to calculate how much is charged?

thanks in advance

2. CoryB

CoryB Senior member

Depends on how it is shipped. If it is shipped USPS then odds are good that no fees will be added. If shipped by a courier then you will likely get raped on brokerage fees. The fee is hard to predict, but my last was $15 on $100. I am assuming the goods are made with in the US so no duties will be applied.

3. iroh

iroh Senior member

anyone else have anything to add?

4. aragon765

aragon765 Senior member

anyone else have anything to add?

see my post here about buying Allen Edmonds, and getting them shipped to Canada. As long as the item was made in USA, you will not be charged duty (ty NAFTA) and will only have to pay GST/PST. Brokerage fees will depend on the shipper, but my shipment with UPS had no brokerage (don't know whether it was b/c the item was duty-free, or my lucky day).

I purchased another pair of shoes from another seller who shipped via USPS the same day as my AE's, and they have not shown up yet. [​IMG]

So like with all things shipping, YMMV.

You could try the handy-dandy search function, as there are quite a few posts on SF about duties, rates, etc. You can also check the Canadian Border Services website for very detailed information.