• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Frenzy - Is it worth it?

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Okay, so I am completely new to this forum and the world of fashion. I think because of this (and the fact that I started out with like two acceptable articles in my wardrobe) I have gone a little crazy during this Saks sale. My most recent purchases are (all dress shirts):

Breuer Shirt - $67.50

Brioni (2) - each $90

RL Black Label - $100

Ferragamo (made in italy) - $40.

Are these good buys? I know that prices are expected to be slashed further, but can a Brioni shirt really be found for less than $90 in a decent color? Should I slow down?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you're not likely going to find a Brioni in your size and a style you like for half of what you paid. If you want to bet a particular item is going to get cheaper, you also take the risk that it won't be available because someone else will pick it up first. To save a few additional dollars isn't worth that risk to me.

As far as slowing down, that's your own decision. You only bought 5 shirts. Seems reasonable for building a decent rotation. now if you said you bought 38 shirts, 30 of which you don't even need, then I'd say re-examine your priorities. but you're fine.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
you're not likely going to find a Brioni in your size and a style you like for half of what you paid. If you want to bet a particular item is going to get cheaper, you also take the risk that it won't be available because someone else will pick it up first. To save a few additional dollars isn't worth that risk to me.

As far as slowing down, that's your own decision. You only bought 5 shirts. Seems reasonable for building a decent rotation. now if you said you bought 38 shirts, 30 of which you don't even need, then I'd say re-examine your priorities. but you're fine.

I figured as much with the Brioni, but I hear all of this speculation about Saks and how cheap things are going to be after Christmas and start to wonder if I have been getting carried away. I should also mention that although I just bought these five shirts, I also bought another six last week. Four of those shirts are specifically for going out / bars, but still... for a guy who used to think Ralph Lauren blake shirts were the top of the line, this is a little overwhelming.

I should also mention that prior to these purchased I had only three BB shirts (and a bunch of Jos A. Bank one's I have retired for good) that I wore to work.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KaiserSose
I figured as much with the Brioni, but I hear all of this speculation about Saks and how cheap things are going to be after Christmas and start to wonder if I have been getting carried away. I should also mention that although I just bought these five shirts, I also bought another six last week. Four of those shirts are specifically for going out / bars, but still... for a guy who used to think Ralph Lauren blake shirts were the top of the line, this is a little overwhelming.

I should also mention that prior to these purchased I had only three BB shirts (and a bunch of Jos A. Bank one's I have retired for good) that I wore to work.

I'm assuming you're a grown up and a big boy, so you can determine whether you've over-extended yourself.

I don't know if your items are returnable, but if you bought them because you like them (and I'm not going to tell you whether $100 is too much for a shirt or whatever), why don't you hold on to them (don't wear them just yet), and see what is available after x-mas to see if the deals are better for you, then return what you bought. If you must wear certain things you just purchased, then what you paid for them is what you paid for them, and whether there is a better deal later is irrelevant. But in my experience, you never find anything you want when things get marked down even more.

chrome_dout

Reaction score
Sounds like you got some nice deals, save some for the rest of us.
smile.gif

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they are NWT you can place them on the B&S section and you might break even, who knows.

Optimas

Reaction score
I'd be less concerned about whether you might be able to save $10 if you postpone buying a shirt for a month, and more concerned with finding clothes that fit you well. They are good buys if you are likely to enjoy wearing them, otherwise they're lousy buys - regardless of what you might have paid for them.

manouche

Reaction score
Okay, so I am completely new to this forum and the world of fashion. I think because of this (and the fact that I started out with like two acceptable articles in my wardrobe) I have gone a little crazy during this Saks sale. My most recent purchases are (all dress shirts):

Breuer Shirt - $67.50

Brioni (2) - each $90

RL Black Label - $100

Ferragamo (made in italy) - $40.

Are these good buys? I know that prices are expected to be slashed further, but can a Brioni shirt really be found for less than $90 in a decent color? Should I slow down?

The prices are not so cheap but if they are good quality, this is a good deal. What were the discounts in % ?

In the last weeks, I have bought :

- SaB handmade attachÃ
00a9.png
case = £675 (tag price = £ 1 350)
- Dunhill Mulanne document case = 220 euros (tag price = 900 euros)
- Dunhill confidential document case = 300 euros (tag price = 750 euros)
- Dunhill cityscape document case = 150 euros = (tag price = 900 euros)
- Dunhill cityscape laptop case = 200 euros (tag price = 1 100 euros)
- Lock Homburg = £190 (full price)
- Lock cap = £90 (full price)
- Rolex submariner = 3 150 euros (tag price = 4 170 euros)

So don't stop buying.

Just buy better, for exemple buy H&k shirts instead.

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Ted: Aside from the big boy comment, thanks for the advice. I guess since they are NWT I can likely come close to breaking even if I hold on to them and they become unreturnable.

Chrome: If you need dress shirts I would hit up Saks in NY asap. While I found some good deals, there are as good if not better ones out there in different sizes (even common ones like 15.75-16.5)

KaiserSose

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
The prices are not so cheap.

In the last weeks, I have bought :

- SaB handmade attachÃ
00a9.png
case = £675
- Dunhill Mulanne document case = 220 euros
- Dunhill confidential document case = 300 euros
- Dunhill cityscape document case = 150 euros
- Dunhill cityscape laptop case = 200 euros
- Lock Homburg = £190
- Lock cap = £90
- Rolex submariner = 3 150 euros

So don't stop buying.

Just buy better, for exemple buy H&k shirts instead.

...I don't know why you decided to troll a random noob

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The after-Xmas sales are less than 30 days away. You can probably get an adjustment if you pay attention to the sales and get them for less without waiting to buy.

manouche

Reaction score

You ask a question, I reply and give you evidences that you don't buy enough.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

because you seem to have your head on straight. Let manoouche show you the error of his ways.

Valdima

Reaction score
Of course it was worth it! You ended up with some good stuff for good prices. No worries Valdima
b710915795b9e9c02cf10d6d2bdb688c.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads