1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Buying fabric online

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Zanzibar, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Matt

Matt Senior member

which is a shame in a way since a first-time poster came with a legitimate query, and this is where it ended

2. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Nice language, and from a man of the cloth [​IMG] You see, I'm not selling pricey (Some might say over-priced) suits, shirts, ties, shoes, socks, books...or underwear on the Internet. So, I can write completely objectively about my experiences and my purchases. I have no agenda other than sharing some knowledge acquired the hard way, through the rather steep, and, sadly, expensive, learning curve. Happily, I've managed to sort through the hype and self-promotion, incurring much debt along the way, but, ultimately, assembling an elaborate wardrobe I'm rather proud of, which others are, happily, impressed with, too. I'm not the be-all, end-all Master of the Universe on all matters sartorial (I'll leave that to other false idols), however I do have a a bit of direct knowledge regarding cloth, tailors, shirtmakers (and shirt guys), shoemakers, and other related topics, from having had tons of clothes made along the way--Great clothes and, regrettably, much not-so-great. If others can benefit from my experience, I'm more than happy to share some of it. To those not interested, that's your privilege. I do find it rather unsettling, though, to see the level of pure unrestrained rage from some unhinged individuals. To borrow from the classic song Amazing Grace, "I once was blind, but now I see". Grayson

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Calm it down please, Marc. You can act cleanhanded but your little stabs are obvious and obviously it's driving a few people crazy having to put up with it. Speaking of stabs, Alex, there are two moderators of this forum - Steve (who it seems has little time at the moment to be on the forum and read these posts), and j, whom no one here is in a position to give flak to. The other "so-called" moderators (LA Guy and myself) are not moderators of this forum. I don't think we could lock a thread even if we tried. Everyone stop being so butthurt. Please.

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Damn, I must be old. What does that mean?

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

(Brian SD @ April 23 2005,11:35) butthurt
    Damn, I must be old. What does that mean?
    [​IMG] It's basically referring to some people getting seemingly far too frustrated. Dude, you use dude, but you don't know butthurt? Anyway, as per the test thread, apparently LA Guy and I can lock threads, so NO FUNNY BUSINESS. I'm kidding. I will only lock them if they get really bad. We're old enough to take care of ourselves, no?

6. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Manton - it's what you get from wearing RLPL thongs I think

Dunno, I am old too

7. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Alex, did you wake up on the wrong side of crabby this morning? I've read Marc's posts very carefully, and it is clearly you who have been the aggressor, turning this post very sour. Too bad...this is not a nice introduction to a first-time poster.

8. Manton

Dude, "dude" goes back a long way in one form or another.  At one point (arguably the original meaning) it even meant "dandy" or "surpremely well-dressed, almost overdressed, man."  But "butthurt" arrived after I had left those worlds where new slang swirls up from daily conversation.

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

(Brian SD @ April 23 2005,11:51) It's basically referring to some people getting seemingly far too frustrated. Dude, you use dude, but you don't know butthurt?
    Dude, "dude" goes back a long way in one form or another. At one point (arguably the original meaning) it even meant "dandy" or "surpremely well-dressed, almost overdressed, man." But "butthurt" arrived after I had left those worlds where new slang swirls up from daily conversation.
    Dude, that's interesting. I remember around 4th grade everyone was just discovering that it also means something in relation to a wart, though I can't recall.
    (from dictionary.com). Nice [​IMG]

10. Manton

[​IMG] Now that I can understand.

11. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Brian - I was not referring to you or LAGuy. I, and most others, am fully aware that you do not moderate this forum.

12. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

Brian, "dude" might have been used to refer to blisters or sores that "dudes" (a.k.a. "dandies") would get on their backsides from improper riding techniques while visiting dude ranches. I've heard this before, too. However, I can't find it in any dictionary (though I haven't checked the OED...I don't own that one).

13. j

j Senior member Admin

Why do I have to wake up to this? Some days I honestly think about just shutting this place down. When the most respected members come out specifically trying to pick fights, I consider that extremely disrespectful. Anyone who finds the forum "disgusting" is free to tell me to my face, and if you have a problem with the "so-called" moderating of the forum, you'd best send it directly to me, because I don't like having to read every goddamned thread just in case I'm being trashed.

The thing I really loved about this forum for a long time was that it was basically self-policing, since everyone enjoyed the atmosphere of polite if occasionally vehement discussion, and thus helped to create and maintain it. I don't know what happened, but somewhere along the way some of you decided you had license to destroy it. Well, you don't. Keep it up, and the place will cease to exist, because I don't have the energy for it. Anyone who enjoys this place the way it can be is free to weigh in either publicly or privately to the members who are ruining it. I leave it up to you.

14. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

The average Joe has no clue what the heck 100 2-ply may be and would not be able to tell it apart from linen. Shown the price tag he would probably call that very expensive, luxurious, etc. When 100 2-ply is cheap stuff, obviously you're on the style forum. [​IMG] Mathieu

15. j

j Senior member Admin

Alex has answered me, and I have moved that thread out of the public eye since it was addressed to me specifically. Edit:
    This part was addressed to the forum in general.

16. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

It seems to me that he was responding to your comments in this thread, which you've left up. For you to have removed his removed his response doesn't seem very reasonable to me.

17. j

j Senior member Admin

Since Alex has expressed his wish to continue this discussion in public, I've moved it back into the public forum. Here is the thread.

18. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Uh... please don't.... .... You don't know what would happen here if you do ...... Â [​IMG]