Buying fabric online

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Zanzibar, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Perhaps a clueless shirt guy might suggest that you would like to try Loro Piana's new Cruise Collection II 8oz. Linen & Cashmere (50% Cash/50% Linen) which is a nice Summer suiting or their (less attractive) Linen/Wool (55% Linen/ 45% New Zealand Wool) blend called Cambric available in 11oz stripes or 8.5oz solid colors.

2. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

(50% Cash/50% Linen)

Loro Piana is mixing linen with money now? Finally, some justification for thier prices.

3. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

LP=Over-hyped, over-marketed, over-priced, underwhelming quality. Carlo Barbera rules.
    Grayson

4. Alexander Kabbaz

Absolutely agreed. Now, answer the man's question with the name of the Barbera linen blend ... or are you clueless?

5. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Yet you nevertheless recommend LP.
    Grayson

6. Alexander Kabbaz

No, I do not. I merely provided a source for something desired by a member which you claimed an inability to supply.

Nor do I recommend 100's 2x2 shirtings over my usual higher qualities ... but when someone needs a certain purple, orange, & green stripe, 100's are about the only place to find one. Hence, I don't tell them they can't have it, only that they can't have it in the quality I prefer to offer.

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Grayson, to repeat: Now, answer the man's question with the name of the Barbera linen blend ... or are you clueless?

8. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Isn't linen blended with silk to reduce the wrinkling?

9. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

I did not claim any inability to supply a linen blend--I wrote that I drew a blank, which means I could not come up with a supplier, not that one does not exist. Â I wasn't aware I was being tested. Â Next time, I'll study harder before posting [​IMG] Sounds like a recommendation to me, although it's a case of semantics, I suppose. Â Whatever. Â You "suggest" that someone "would like to try" cloth that you just acknowledged is over-priced and underwhelming in quality. Â Kind of confusing, but I'm not interested in pursuing the debate. I'd much rather clean the lint out of my trouser cuffs. Â Zei gezunt (Be in good health) Â Have a relaxing weekend, a Happy Passover to those who celebrate the holiday, and don't get "unraveled" over cloth. Grayson Post-script...
    Um, unless I'm missing something, *I* was the man who mentioned Carlo Barbera LOL. Â And, while I have not a clue of whether CB offers a linen blend (nor do I care for that matter), even better, I actually have the privilege of WEARING beautiful garments made for me made from Carlo Barbera cloth. Â Take it from me, wearing CB cloth is much more satisfying than silly postings about CB cloth. Grayson

10. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

if I wanted a suit for the summer with linen in a blend, what would you recommend? Â I'll be in Paris for this.
    I'm drawing a blank on any kind of respected linen blend for suits, etc. Â I'm not even sure what would be blended with linen, except, possibly cotton, but I would only recommend pure linen. Â Linen/cotton for shirts, perhaps. Grayson
    All right, then. I will go that way. Any tailors worth a shot in Paris?

11. lisapop

lisapop Senior member

Sorry, not a clue.  Just know about London and NY tailors.  Have a nice trip, though.  Charvet & Hermes ties and John Lobb & JM Weston shoes rule.
    Grayson

12. Charley

Charley Senior member

Yet you nevertheless recommend LP.
    No, I do not. I merely provided a source for something desired by a member which you claimed an inability to supply. Nor do I recommend 100's 2x2 shirtings over my usual higher qualities ... but when someone needs a certain purple, orange, & green stripe, 100's are about the only place to find one. Â Hence, I don't tell them they can't have it, only that they can't have it in the quality I prefer to offer.
    The suggestion you made of the blended fabric from LP may be excellent - if a blend is what you want to accept. In this case, I am looking for a source for a suit fabric of 10+ oz Irish lined. Linen as it is suposed to be. Notwithstanding that some can conjure up blends that should be better, as measured by any number of factors. I certainly would appreciate any suggestion of source that you may know of for the fabric. Or should I simply keep surfing for a supplier?

13. Matt

Matt [email protected]

i have never seen him with any linens, but you could contact an ebay seller called how6955 and see if he ever comes across it. he carries a lot of high grade wools normally and is based in Leeds, I believe buying mill offcuts from the area. I have no clue whether that gives him access to Irish linens, but enquiry costs you only an email I guess, and youll never know unless you ask. He sells at unbeatable prices in small quantities. FYI - he is on vacation until May 5

14. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I do not recommend buying cloth on line as a general rule because:

1. Unless you're getting a name brand (e.g., Smith's or Loro Piana), you don't know what you're getting. The names frequently mentioned here, such as Lesser and Harrisons, sell quality cloth, but there is a whole world of no name junk being sold.

2. Even if you're buying a name brand at a bargain price, you're probably getting either a second or cloth that could not be sold at retail, such as a lovely navy with a purple chalkstripe.

3. Unless you're in the trade and have a great knowledge of the cloth offered (e.g., Holland & Sherry's Snowy River 12 oz. navy), you need to see and feel the cloth. A color image on your computer screen is not a substitute.

4. As a layman, you might accept a cloth with a defect, which is not readily apparent to you. Either the tailor will refuse to make the suit or the suit will be a disappointment.

5. If the tailor loses or damages the cloth, then you will have a fight as to who should be responsible.

6. You might order too little cloth. E.g., a bold plaid will require more cloth. You might also over-compensate by ordering too much cloth.

In sum, you are better off going to a tailor with a good selection of cloth. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the experience.

Good luck.

15. Alexander Kabbaz

Charley - I wasn't answering your original question as a number of previous posts had already done that. Another member had inquired about linen blends and I was trying to assist in answering that subsequent question. Sorry if you mistook my response.
    Alex