• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying expensive OTR suits with only one pair of trousers...

Richdog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
I see a lot of people buying expensive designer OTR suits for crazy money, but the thing that has always boggled me is often people generally only buy one pair of trousers with the set, sometimes because thats all that is available and they dont sell the suits with two pairs. For me, suit jackets last about 2x longer the trousers (just the nature of how much more abuse trousers take in general) so when I buy a suit it ALWAYS has to have two, and even (depending on the cost of the suit) three pairs of trousers with it as a rule.

So im curious... do you guys feel comfortable buying a suit of good quality with only one pair of trousers, even if it means that potentially once the trousers are damaged you may be left with a suit jacket of good quality and no trousers to go with it?
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
45
If you can afford crazy money you can afford two or even three suits. You can afford to replace worn out suits.
 

Richdog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Nicola
If you can afford crazy money you can afford two or even three suits. You can afford to replace worn out suits.

Ok, maybe "crazy money" was a tad exagerrated, I just mean the more expensive (£700+) suits. Not everyone can afford ot replace suits willy-nilly, even if they buy good ones. I know more than a few people that spend a fair bit on their clothes, and cut back on a lot of other things. They can't necessarily afford to buy a replacement within a a reasonably short time frame though.

Eithr way, considering trousers (at least for me) wear out so much quicker than the jacket, I just find it odd to make a good jacket redundant because only one pair of trousers were available.
 

BrianVarick

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2007
Messages
1,759
Reaction score
20
Most nice suits jackets would look good as sport coats anyway.
 

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2009
Messages
6,964
Reaction score
128
I personally dont care for a second pair of trousers. I fully intend to replace my suits before the trouser wears through. But then, I dont expect to wear a suit more than 20-25 times in total ...
 

Roger Everett

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
220
Reaction score
11
Maybe I've been shopping at the wrong places. The only suits I've seen where you get more than one pair of trousers are the ones sold as separates, jackets on one rack and trousers on another. And they really aren't the high- end suits. Although I suppose you could special order anothe pair, but never considered it. As Brian mentioned, you could use it as a sports jacket or change the buttons and call it a blaser.
Roger
 

Richdog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Roger Everett
Maybe I've been shopping at the wrong places. The only suits I've seen where you get more than one pair of trousers are the ones sold as separates, jackets on one rack and trousers on another. And they really aren't the high- end suits. Although I suppose you could special order anothe pair, but never considered it. As Brian mentioned, you could use it as a sports jacket or change the buttons and call it a blaser.
Roger


Well I get my suits from an English tailor-made place that does very good (as expensive as you like, almost) quality, so I can tailor it as I see fit http://www.asuitthatfits.com/shop/in...d=13&Itemid=30 and order as many trousers as I fit.
 

ChicagoMediaMan

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2008
Messages
598
Reaction score
7
Originally Posted by Richdog
Well I get my suits from an English tailor-made place that does very good (as expensive as you like, almost) quality, so I can tailor it as I see fit http://www.asuitthatfits.com/shop/in...d=13&Itemid=30 and order as many trousers as I fit.

But you're not getting OTR. With the exception of suit seperates, no OTR suit is going to provide you with an extra pair of trousers. This only done when getting MTM/bespoke.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,138
Reaction score
703
Wouldn't the color of the jacket change a little over time while the color of the 2nd pair of pants stays the same?
 

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
2,952
Reaction score
45
You normally rotate the pants. So they fade at a similar rate. At least you should.
 

acecow

Distinguished Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2009
Messages
4,138
Reaction score
703
Originally Posted by Nicola
You normally rotate the pants. So they fade at a similar rate. At least you should.

I understand that one should rotate them. But still, the jacket is in the sun/outside for twice as much. Wouldn't that affect the fabric more?
 

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 18, 2010
Messages
1,935
Reaction score
167
I don't know of any place where they offer to sell you a seperate pair of pants when you buy OTR suits.

I guess if you buy suit seperates, you can buy an extra pair of pants.
 

maxnharry

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2005
Messages
1,403
Reaction score
16
Originally Posted by bellyhungry
I don't know of any place where they offer to sell you a seperate pair of pants when you buy OTR suits.

I guess if you buy suit seperates, you can buy an extra pair of pants.


Yes-no one does this anymore.
 

voxsartoria

Goon member
Joined
Jan 18, 2007
Messages
25,756
Reaction score
158
If you are like many members of this forvm, trousers (or trou as they're called here) worn to death will give out first at the crotch and inner thighs.

Sensible ways to push these problems further into the future are to use better aim, shake off with a riding crop snap, and to walk about with more separation between your ankles.

This advice is free.


- B
 

Richdog

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2010
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by acecow
Wouldn't the color of the jacket change a little over time while the color of the 2nd pair of pants stays the same?

Well obviously not if you rotate the pants, though that shouldn't need stating.

However my point was not why or how OTRsuits don't let you have an extra pair of pants, but why people don't mind not having an extra pair.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,403
Messages
9,446,725
Members
197,946
Latest member
4milac5922wo2
Top