• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying clothes to land women

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Refer to my epithet.

I would wear stuff that just I like, but that is dumb to do 100%. I think people thought I was a little gay last summer, even girls, because I wore more than 1 bright color per outfit. One needs to wear stuff that is socially acceptable, while also being totally unique, something that isn't easy to do. People who don't know a lot about clothes will not be able to put their finger on what makes your look unique, but I think most would definitely notice your unique style in the broader sense.

I think people in general, you don't have to be a rockstar or dress in a crazy gettup, you just have to be interesting and somehow standout. These days, wearing clothes that actually fit probably makes you stand out quite a bit!

I'm not opposed to dressing up to get chicks every once in a while in certain settings, but really you need to find yourself and your own style and be confident doing so.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I know, that's why I was pretty confident in my claim.
laugh.gif

I definitely agree. But to me the most important time is the early stage of a relationship (or whatever it turns out to be). During this time is the only time that clothes are really going to help you. After that it just becomes a thing on a checklist she uses to mentally rate you, and a plus when it makes her friends jealous and her parents either approving/comfortable or pissed off, depending.
tounge.gif

I guess I wear my gay on my sleeve.
laugh.gif
And, I actually do that (in bold) when I'm in a relationship, the mental checklist.
shog[1].gif

This sounds Ideal.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Originally Posted by Fuuma
I land women so they can buy me clothes.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I think my experiences are atypical here. I'm kind of a loser, I don't really have any friends, and when I go to bars, I usually just sit by myself and don't talk to anybody. Actively trying to solicit the attention from a woman from a man in my position is a hard row to hoe. "Hitting on women"- even to the degree of just asking her for her number- is something that happens five times a year at maximum, mostly when it's something the woman initiated. I can't compare my own experiences to the "typical" experience, because I'm not sure what the typical experience is. What most men and women do at clubs is a mystery to me.

I don't dress to the level of most guys here, but you can bet your bottom dollar I'm the best-dressed guy at Thirsty Thursdays. I think of that Beatles lyric, "Got to be good looking 'cause he's so hard to see";- if I didn't dress the way I do, I'd likely disappear entirely.

As far as unsolicited attention from women, I think I would correlate it more to how social I appear to be at any given time. If I'm playing pool and appear to be having a good time, and and talking with people who appear to be my friends, I'm much more likely to be approached by women.

I've dumped a few hundred buscks into clothes these past few months, at a time when my social life has been really abysmal, so I can't say what the net effect of the new threads are. Really, I'm not sure who I'm trying to impress.

http://www.cracked.com/article_15658...ide-guide.html

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I love when i get compliments from women. I was at a (college) party the other day and wearing a relatively boring outfit but everything fit really well. A few girls were gushing considering the guys there were in baggy faded jeans, flip flops and an ugly shirt. I talked to a few of them who really like fashion about stuff for a bit and one girl tried to wanted to steal my cardi. I don't specifically try to please them, but generally try to make my outfits pleasing to the eye and i figure some girls will like it. A lot of girls here at my college like the ultra buff, lacoste, frat looking guys though, but there are plenty who appreciate slim and simple.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I find that dressing well actually hurts my chances with women. Between my great style, good looks, subtle wit, and confident affluence, they assume I am unobtainable and move on.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say that women is the main reason whether we realize it or not. I think any other reason has become a byproduct of it. Just like stronger alpha gorillas win the women over, we do things as well. Physique, clothes, etc... list goes on.

I strongly believe that.

Can you honestly imagine the world suddenly without women and us still worrying about whether we want the b.son hoodie or the surface to air hoodie? I can't.

redcaimen

Bigtime
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I find that dressing well actually hurts my chances with women. Between my great style, good looks, subtle wit, and confident affluence, they assume I am unobtainable and move on.

You could always have an operation to give yourself a lazy eye. This might bring you down to earth a little bit. But remember, you will have to be extra attentive to them when engaging them in conversation because half your face will always seem slightly disinterested.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
If you want to land women, try buying the clothes for them.

You do this long enough, you wind up buying clothes with them. No good deed goes unpunished.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
Now, throw in clothes as a hobby. You are going to dress well. So dress well in the other direction of your political or cultural type. If you're a bleeding-heart liberal, dress like a hard-hearted conservative. If you're a tight-fisted aristocrat, dress like a generous dandy.

This way, you never bore people. They will give you a second and a third and a fourth look as they try to figure you out.

I never thought about it like that, but I'll agree. I assume people think I'm a hardass because I've got tattooed forearms, big boots, and drink whiskey from the bottle, but when girls find out I'm actually quite a sissy, they seem more interested in me than the guys who are actually hardasses.

Then I lose my nerve and call my grandma to find out what to say next.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 I think "dressing to type" in general is lame. "Hey Lookit meeee! I'm a [goth/skater/badass/cowboy/biker/preppie/hippie"]. Hopefully what we're talking about here is "style" as an abstract sense, not clothes that telegraph a lifestyle, whether accurate or misleading.

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tagutcow
I think "dressing to type" in general is lame. "Hey Lookit meeee! I'm a [goth/skater/badass/cowboy/biker/preppie/hippie"]. Hopefully what we're talking about here is "style" as an abstract sense, not clothes that telegraph a lifestyle, whether accurate or misleading.

yeah but it's hard to fall out of a category.

Karo

Reaction score
Women say I look even better with my clothes off.
fing02[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads