Buying chinos + chino shorts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Jun 25, 2004.

1. gregory

gregory Senior member

Hi guys,

I need to pick up two pairs of chinos and two pairs of chino shorts. I am thinking of navy and stone, but I welcome ideas. I am thinking of buying them from Brooks Brothers - is this a good or bad idea?

Is it worth it doing Lands' End Custom? Are there any other MTM chinos and chino shorts?

Thanks.

2. TCN

TCN Senior member

I like Lands End, although I think the application of the term "Custom" to the service they offer is perhaps a bit grandiose.

That said, Brooks Brothers makes about as good a pair of casual chinos or chino shorts as anybody else at the area mall. Actually, I rather like their plain front chino shorts that are out right now. If you are looking for standard weight plain front pants, or pleated shorts, try Orvis . . . I noticed some stuff on the table there the other day that looked pretty decent.

3. gregory

gregory Senior member

BB chino shorts are on sale - 2 for $59 so I might grab two.

The problem with chinos is that they are often too baggy for my taste. Someone was asking for slim-fit chinos a few months ago on this forum. I feel the same way.

Any opinion on Banana Republic chinos - in 4 different cuts?

I am also deciding between getting a pair of boat shoes - worn sockless - and a pair of sandals. Which would be more versatile? Are boat shoes very much a spring/summer item?

4. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Haven't tried the "custom" Land's End stuff, but I have a pair of their Chino jeans. I like the material, and it's not too baggy.

5. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior member

I own several pairs of chinos from Banana Republic and based on the style you get, you can get a nice pair of slim fit chinos for a very reasonable price. I have a pair that fit fairly tight in the thigh, not too tight, and are lose enough at the bottom to wear with a pair of Chelsea boots. I have had this particular pair for at least 3 years and there is some sign of fraying at the pockets and hem but they have been treated fairly roughly. I'd say go to BR and at least try on a pair. Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes but I have a few drinks [​IMG]