1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Buying chinos + chino shorts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gregory, Jun 25, 2004.

1. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Hi guys,

I need to pick up two pairs of chinos and two pairs of chino shorts. I am thinking of navy and stone, but I welcome ideas. I am thinking of buying them from Brooks Brothers - is this a good or bad idea?

Is it worth it doing Lands' End Custom? Are there any other MTM chinos and chino shorts?

Thanks.

2. TCN

TCN Distinguished Member

I like Lands End, although I think the application of the term "Custom" to the service they offer is perhaps a bit grandiose.

That said, Brooks Brothers makes about as good a pair of casual chinos or chino shorts as anybody else at the area mall. Actually, I rather like their plain front chino shorts that are out right now. If you are looking for standard weight plain front pants, or pleated shorts, try Orvis . . . I noticed some stuff on the table there the other day that looked pretty decent.

3. gregory

gregory Senior Member

BB chino shorts are on sale - 2 for $59 so I might grab two.

The problem with chinos is that they are often too baggy for my taste. Someone was asking for slim-fit chinos a few months ago on this forum. I feel the same way.

Any opinion on Banana Republic chinos - in 4 different cuts?

I am also deciding between getting a pair of boat shoes - worn sockless - and a pair of sandals. Which would be more versatile? Are boat shoes very much a spring/summer item?

4. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior Member

Haven't tried the "custom" Land's End stuff, but I have a pair of their Chino jeans. I like the material, and it's not too baggy.

5. Ranjeev

Ranjeev Senior Member

I own several pairs of chinos from Banana Republic and based on the style you get, you can get a nice pair of slim fit chinos for a very reasonable price. I have a pair that fit fairly tight in the thigh, not too tight, and are lose enough at the bottom to wear with a pair of Chelsea boots. I have had this particular pair for at least 3 years and there is some sign of fraying at the pockets and hem but they have been treated fairly roughly. I'd say go to BR and at least try on a pair. Sorry if there are any grammar mistakes but I have a few drinks [​IMG]