Buying blender, but which one?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by Ajaxv2, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Ajaxv2

Ajaxv2 Senior member

Hello, I am on the market for blenders. I know nothing about them, save that my parents' Kitchen Aid beast-mode blender lasted the better part of two decades. I want to make protein shake/smoothies and other health food. I do not intend to be crushing ice. There was a thread a few months ago about buying a blender for drinks, and if those responses can be applied here, please let me know. 1.5 Franklins is all I can spare for this facet in my endeavor to be healthier. Some cheap-o ones? http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bullet-D.../dp/B000BDED40 http://www.amazon.com/MaxiMatic-EPB-...f=pd_sbs_hpc_5 With a name like "MaxiMatic," how could I go wrong?

2. BBSLM

BBSLM Senior member

I was just about to start a blender thread in the Fine Living forum. There is a multi-page thread discussing the finer points of $13k commercial refridgerators, so I figure they might know about blenders as well. Ive had this blender since late 2005: http://www.amazon.com/Decker-BL3900-.../dp/B0014CQAM0 Pros: It looks decent on the counter, and the motor is sufficiently strong to crush ice. Its also pretty cheap. Cons: The design of the pitcher creates a big air bubble or empty space around the blades, so you end up having to add more liquid than you may need/want in order to get everything blended. There is also a design flaw with the glass pitcher in that the plastic base will not screw on correctly, so there is a minor leak. For the past year or so the motor has made a buzzing sound whenever it is plugged in. Im waiting for it to croak before I buy anything else. The problem with blenders (based on reviews Ive read while casually browsing sites looking for a new one) is that all the steezy and powerful blenders that look good on the counter and can crush diamonds are unreliable as hell. Waring Pro, Viking, and L equip all seem to have this problem. I think BlendTec's have good reliability, but fuck if Im spending that much on a blender. Then you have the lower range blenders like Osters that dont ever die, but are ugly, boring, and cant mix applesauce. I think KitchenAids are a good compromise. Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CSNVE2/...SIN=B000CSNVE2 But I know fuckall about blenders. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

3. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

Go Chrome Classic. Waring and Oster make the best of this model. You will also want one with a complement of containers...i.e. food processor, shake cup, glass.

4. matt22616

matt22616 Senior member

Yeah, I think Waring and Oster make the best. Only reason I decided to get an Oster insead of a Waring, which was more aesthetically pleasing, was because the Oster had an all metal drive. Absolutely no plastic. Which be good.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

I have a Waring. Looks like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Waring-PBB204-...1186986&sr=1-1

So far no issues. I thought of buying a VitaMix, but didn't feel like spending $300 on a blender. Don't use it all that often, but it has no problem with frozen strawberries and the like. Looks pretty cool. Jar isn't that large, so if you're blending for a bunch of people not a great option.

6. Taxler

Taxler Senior member

I've been using the same Waring Pro Bar Blender for 15 years. The last time I checked, it was identical to what they're still selling.

7. pajames

pajames Well-Known Member

There are plenty of beautiful, fancy blenders on the market but the Oster I bought in 1964 is still running strong and the only thing I've replaced is the rubber gasket.

8. MillionaireTeacher

MillionaireTeacher Senior member

9. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

I shit you not: somebody gave me one of those Magic Bullet things about three years ago. I thought it was fucking stupid so I just put the box in my basement. I cracked it open maybe a year after I got it just because I was bored. Turns out it actually works and doesn't suck. It makes a good smoothie and does wonders for incorporating whey into skim. Plus it mixes fiber supplements into water like a champ. The thing comes with about 6 cups and two blades so you can use it a lot without having to worry about washing. I put that stuff in the dishwasher all the time. Small footprint makes it easy to have out and ready to go. Awesome for making single servings. I use mine probably three times a day. Salad dressings, crepe batter, BBQ sauce, etc. Blender is now under the counter.

What it doesn't do: crush ice or chop vegetables like a food processor.

I think they sell them for like $20.

10. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

+1 for the bullet. It's small and washes up really quickly. My mixing jars cracked and I've been thinking of replacing it.

As an alternative, get a metal mixing cup (like a cocktail shaker) and one of these guys:

Cuisinart

The advantage is that it washes up really quickly and can blend soups in the pot as well. I made some awesome tomato soup on the weekend with it.

11. william

william Senior member

Save up and get a Vitamix. It's worth it.

12. Neo1824

Neo1824 Senior member

I've got a Blendtec....about double your budget but it is amazing. Crushes ice and anything else you throw in there. Makes incredible smoothies, soups, sauces.....even ice cream.

13. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

14. username79

username79 Senior member

I brought the Breville Ikon. It works. You can get them refurbished for $80. [​IMG] It has a smoothie button that runs a program for 60 seconds and turns out decent smoothies.

15. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Senior member

did anyone mention that Kalorik blenders are on GILT til the 27th?