Buying belt on ebay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Aug 30, 2004.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Are there any tips on buying (spotting fakes) on ebay? I was looking at this dunhill belt: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws....65&rd=1 Do u guys think this is authentic belt? Can anyone recommand a honest belt seller? Thanks

2. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

I have the same question as to whether this Dunhill wallet, which I already own, is real "Dunhill" or fake. Why is there such an abundance of Dunhill leather goods in China on EBay, if these items are supposedly made in Italy or France? Are they seconds? Or are the Chinese just producing these items including certificates of authenticity? I note the absence of price tags or discussion of original retail price for both the belt and the wallet. With regard to the belt, this seller has been in business on Ebay for slightly more than a month and, in addition to Dunhill, has a ton of supposedly authentic Boss and Versace belts. http://<a href="http://cgi.ebay.ca/w......04&rd=1</a>

3. MilanoStyle

I donno about your wallet, but the belt i posed is a fake .. i think ..

I browsed thorugh web and saw other dunhill belts. It seems like that dunhill puts 'dunhill' logo not so obviously in terms of location and visiblity of the logo. This belt or any other belts this person is selling, the logo are TOO visible and flashy ..

But I have to say .. authentic dunhill belts feat. on official website are VERY sharp and sleek IMHO.

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

All fake. Just look at this ridiculous Versace wallet. My Webpage

5. ernest

ernest Senior member

I have never seen this buckle so must be fake...

6. ernest

ernest Senior member

In fact I have never seen even one of the "Dunhill" buckle sold by this guy... 100% fake. He could at leat sell the same model as Dunhill.

7. MilanoStyle

where can i find dunhill belt in toronto?
    anyone know?

8. ernest

ernest Senior member

Check on Dunhill site...

9. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Let's see. LVMH and Richemont spend millions on advertising and on flagship stores on Fifth Avenue to create an appetite. Consumers care only for the label and know little about the quality (e.g. you can knowingly buy a fake Gucci anywhere on Fifth Avenue right outside the flagship store and thousands do). Then, China becomes westernized and now has the capital, equipment and cheap labor to produce counterfeits of these labels. EBay wants fees, can't realistically monitor counterfeits, and so provides a worldwide distribution network. If I were a shareholder in LVMH or Richemont, I'd be afraid.