• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

buying authentic items on ebay

danz24

Reaction score
I am still new to the concept of buying clothes online.
My question is, if an auction says that an item is authentic, does that mean it really is? or could it be a lie?

Im asking because for now, that is the only way for me to know if an item is authentic or not.

DrFaustus

Reaction score
If I tell you I am dating a swimsuit model (34D - 25 - 28), and that I am a billionaire, would you believe me? :p

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ebay has been doing a lot to combat fraudulent items in recent months, it doesn't guarantee anything, but I have seen A LOT less **** lately.

towen

Reaction score
It's hard to tell. If the price seems too low, it's probably fake, but I've also seen plenty of authentic auctions end at a low price with no bids. If it's a popular designer, there are guides on ebay to tell if an item is fake. If you are unsure, either post it here or pass.

mert54

Reaction score
I'd imagine more might come out now because people can't afford the real things, or It could be the total opposite, with people selling what they had.

rsgould

Reaction score
Hi there,

I work in anti-counterfeiting investigations for a living. Send me the link and I'll give you a good idea of what's what.

On ebay, guaranteeing authenticity really has no meaning. It's all caveat emptor.

modagg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rsgould
Hi there,

I work in anti-counterfeiting investigations for a living. Send me the link and I'll give you a good idea of what's what.

On ebay, guaranteeing authenticity really has no meaning. It's all caveat emptor.

He is from china and thats where most of the fakes come from; good enough for me to consider him an expert.
teacha.gif

rsgould

Reaction score
Originally Posted by modagg
He is from china and thats where most of the fakes come from; good enough for me to consider him an expert.
teacha.gif

From the U.S.--but I live in Guangzhou, the global epicenter for counterfeit garments and accessories, amongst other fakes.

My firm tracks counterfeiters, conducts in-depth investigations, and coordinates raids and legal enforcement with the authorities.

It's a lot of fun and I still can't believe I get paid for this.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are a lot of fakes on eBay (and in the world in general).

If in doubt, pay with a credit card and if on receipt it turns out to be counterfeit, complain to your CC company and they'll file a chargeback on grounds of your not receiving what you thought you were transacting for. AMEX is really good for this sort of claim; they're quite aggressive.

Having said that, there's also a lot of really cheap, and entirely authentic, items on eBay. Educate yourself, buy from trusted sellers, ask here, do your homework, and any other number of easy platitudes...
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads