• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Buying Art -- Where?

OilOrBust

Reaction score
Well, I'm trying to find some artwork to put in our new home. The walls are bare.

My wife and I are a fan of impression style, but not wildly colorful, landscapes. I'm not a big fan of prints, so oil paintings are a big plus. Abstract is "okay" -- but nothing too wild.

Doesn't have to be by a widely recognized artist -- just has to be a good value and look nice.

Anyone have any suggestions? There are no galleries out where I live, and honestly I'd like to buy directly from an artist. Anyone have a suggestions on an online source perhaps? Looking for 36x30 or larger.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
art schools? (or more precicely, soon-to-be graduates of art schools)

OilOrBust

Reaction score
No art schools around here either. West Texas isn't exactly an oasis of culture.

lpresq

Reaction score
Originally Posted by OilOrBust
Well, I'm trying to find some artwork to put in our new home. The walls are bare.

My wife and I are a fan of impression style, but not wildly colorful, landscapes. I'm not a big fan of prints, so oil paintings are a big plus. Abstract is "okay" -- but nothing too wild.

Doesn't have to be by a widely recognized artist -- just has to be a good value and look nice.

Anyone have any suggestions? There are no galleries out where I live, and honestly I'd like to buy directly from an artist. Anyone have a suggestions on an online source perhaps? Looking for 36x30 or larger.

Check out osnatfineart.com

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Where do you live?

OilOrBust

Reaction score
Midland, with a lot of time spent in Southeast New Mexico.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one should utter a word B U Y I N G for the next 12 months.

Agnacious

Reaction score
You can get some reproductions at:

http://www.denunzio.com/

They used to sell at the Museum company. They are not prints, maybe glicee, but at any rate you can pick up some popular works without the print or horrid glass covering.

You could go to art shows and buy something there, but there are many bad or mediocre artists out there so finding something that still looks good when you get it home can be challenging.

You could always buy some modern art, which more often than not looks like a cross between an oil spill and a murder scene, and then just tell everyone that points out that it looks like crap, they are just not sophisticated enough to appreciate it. That's what people I know with no taste do.

That and buy overpriced Ikea style furniture.

OilOrBust

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. This weekend I'll take the wife to the Chianti Foundation art museum in Marfa, maybe look at some shops, then a stop at the Reata in Alpine and back up into town.

Maybe we find something -- mebbe not. My father told me he knows they have some limited framed Dali prints from 30 years ago or so around, so I might look at those as well as Dali is my favorite artist.

And a Giclee would be fine, a hand embellished one even better. Thanks for the link.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are looking for Impressionist type work, Marfa won't have much if any.
That is the epicenter for minimalism. Cool place though.

May I suggest CADD contemporary art dealers of dallas or dallas art dealers assoc.

OilOrBust

Reaction score
I know. I really enjoy minimalist art, and modern art in general. I just don't want it in my house! I will check out CADD, my wife's parents live in the DFW area.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads