• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
If someone gives me a hint that it possibly won't fit, I tell them straight up it won't fit and highly discourage people from making the purchase.

+1 to this. Anytime buyers show hesitation beforehand, I pretty much tell them that the item might not be best for them but encourage them to look at similar options in my store.

Also, did anyone else notice that eBay now lets watchers counter offers you send them? It's an interesting update, and I'm not necessarily opposed by any means, but almost seems like they're slowly adopting more of a Posh-style marketplace.

Joefitz

Reaction score
+1 to this. Anytime buyers show hesitation beforehand, I pretty much tell them that the item might not be best for them but encourage them to look at similar options in my store.

Also, did anyone else notice that eBay now lets watchers counter offers you send them? It's an interesting update, and I'm not necessarily opposed by any means, but almost seems like they're slowly adopting more of a Posh-style marketplace.
As a buyer, I want to counter some of the offers where only a few dollars are taken off. But if the offer is fair, I take it. Not looking to lowball the seller

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get this offer to cap final value fees at $10 For Dec 5-9?

Only applies to listings created in the period. Not to relisted items. Good thing (for eBay) I got all my expensive things already up. :(

Got a buyer lined up for an Attolini cardigan and leather jacket, think I’ll get in trouble if I remove the listings and list them as a bundled item? It wouldn’t technically be against the terms of the offer, right? Right??

Anyway look out for the email, could be useful for some of you folks.

Can't imagine that would be an issue but I'm curious why you would want to do that? You'll get the same exact FVF charged no matter what and you can ship both items together either way. Just seems like a potential headache if something happens and the buyer has an issue with one of the items.

(Edit: I guess if the cost is high enough, you might get a break on FVF. Didn't think of that.)

madeinbogota

Reaction score
As a buyer, I want to counter some of the offers where only a few dollars are taken off. But if the offer is fair, I take it. Not looking to lowball the seller
My thoughts exactly. As a seller, I used to send offers that were pretty close to my rock-bottom point for the item, but that could change with this new update.

Flashbang

Reaction score
Can't imagine that would be an issue but I'm curious why you would want to do that? You'll get the same exact FVF charged no matter what and you can ship both items together either way. Just seems like a potential headache if something happens and the buyer has an issue with one of the items.

(Edit: I guess if the cost is high enough, you might get a break on FVF. Didn't think of that.)

I got an email with an offer of a $10 FVF on all orders over $100 for items listed Dec 5-9 (up to like 100 sales or something or other)

So if I sell the items separately and listed prior to this offer, I pay 10% of the each, $50 for the two.

If I create new listings of the same items during this promotion, I pay $10 on each of the two for a total of $20.

If I create a single listing with both items during the promotion, I pay $10 on since it was a single sale.

So I was thinking if I create separate listings, it’s a way around the term excluding re-listed items originally listed before the promotion period. But if I create a single bundled listing, then it’s not a “re-list”. Obviously against the spirit of the promotion though...

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got an email with an offer of a $10 FVF on all orders over $100 for items listed Dec 5-9 (up to like 100 sales or something or other)

So if I sell the items separately and listed prior to this offer, I pay 10% of the each, $50 for the two.

If I create new listings of the same items during this promotion, I pay $10 on each of the two for a total of $20.

If I create a single listing with both items during the promotion, I pay $10 on since it was a single sale.

So I was thinking if I create separate listings, it’s a way around the term excluding re-listed items originally listed before the promotion period. But if I create a single bundled listing, then it’s not a “re-list”. Obviously against the spirit of the promotion though...

Okay that makes sense. l'm usually pretty 'by the books' when it comes to eBay but I would probably do that. I'll let someone else chime in with words of warning but that seems pretty innocuous to me.

Flashbang

Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. l'm usually pretty 'by the books' when it comes to eBay but I would probably do that. I'll let someone else chime in with words of warning but that seems pretty innocuous to me.

Meh, will probably do it by the book. Just a bit miffed about the restrictions haha.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
New update?

The ability of buyers to respond to an offer with a counter offer, I think.

Related: if you see a price that seems reasonable, but is in fact wacky — like say, a $175 PRL item with an “MSRP” of $200, but was never sold for more than $200 $125, and usually, $75 on perpetual sale — do you guys mention that when making offers? Or when told, “This sells for $200!”...do you just keep quiet and wait for something more realistic to come along?

I usually don’t give a rationale for offers. But I just saw a listing that said “No lowballs without a good explanation”. :lol:

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have any of you dealt with ebay buyer sonnycastillo1967 before? This is the guy I asked about earlier. He still doesn't read the measurements in descriptions, but is asking about several of my listings (this is what I get for suggesting that the pants might not fit but that another suit I had listed has a slightly larger waist).

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Used Underwear

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads