• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Camera guys: best bang for your buck DSLR for eBay? Will be using soft boxes and a seamless backdrop. Something I can get for cheap used or refurbished is perfect.

I’d get a Canon T6 (or earlier model from that line) and an EF-S 35mm f/2.8 macro lens (the kit lenses are good, but you can get much better pics with a prime lens, and macro is great for detail shots of items). I started selling on eBay with a Rebel XTi and am now on an 80d. I really want into the new mirrorless system,but can’t justify the expense yet.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same day or 3 day handling those questions keep filing in. Just had a buyer ask to cancel an order Sunday night that they purchased Friday evening and asked me to ship Saturday morning. Apparently I took too long.
I had a guy recently take his full 3 days to pay me (claiming his "Paypal balance needed to be positive", which is cods) and then express surprise when I took the full 3 days to mail it.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Camera guys: best bang for your buck DSLR for eBay? Will be using soft boxes and a seamless backdrop. Something I can get for cheap used or refurbished is perfect.
@Fueco mentioned the T6. I purchased a used one, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems rather user friendly. I would also recommend Nikon D3300 / D3400 or D7100. The 7100 has some better features. But, all of them are suitable for beginner DSLR use. (Trust me, if I can use it, it's beginner friendly.) If you want to go full frame, you can find some good deals on Nikon D610. If you buy second hand, find out how many clicks (shutter actuations) it has.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Fueco mentioned the T6. I purchased a used one, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. It seems rather user friendly. I would also recommend Nikon D3300 / D3400 or D7100. The 7100 has some better features. But, all of them are suitable for beginner DSLR use. (Trust me, if I can use it, it's beginner friendly.) If you want to go full frame, you can find some good deals on Nikon D610. If you buy second hand, find out how many clicks (shutter actuations) it has.

How about lighting sets for beginners? Mast of my eBay photos come out grey and shadowy. I have good cameras and lenses; what should I get to add a basic lighting setup?

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d get a Canon T6 (or earlier model from that line) and an EF-S 35mm f/2.8 macro lens (the kit lenses are good, but you can get much better pics with a prime lens, and macro is great for detail shots of items). I started selling on eBay with a Rebel XTi and am now on an 80d. I really want into the new mirrorless system,but can’t justify the expense yet.
Thanks guys. I was using a Nikon D3200 which I left with my business partner in the states. Would have bought another but there’s a known glitch with the autofocus that we were having trouble with. Fueco, is there a lens you’d recommend for mannequin shots or will the macro work for everything?

How about lighting sets for beginners? Mast of my eBay photos come out grey and shadowy. I have good cameras and lenses; what should I get to add a basic lighting setup?
Others can chime in but I found a decent one on eBay for around $100. Type in “soft box lighting kit”. Mine had three lights two vertical and one overhead. I’d recommend getting one with four lightbulb heads over just one. Generally worked pretty well for me although I would so some editing in Lightroom as well.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was using a Nikon D3200 which I left with my business partner in the states. Would have bought another but there’s a known glitch with the autofocus that we were having trouble with. Fueco, is there a lens you’d recommend for mannequin shots or will the macro work for everything?

Others can chime in but I found a decent one on eBay for around $100. Type in “soft box lighting kit”. Mine had three lights two vertical and one overhead. I’d recommend getting one with four lightbulb heads over just one. Generally worked pretty well for me although I would so some editing in Lightroom as well.

i use the EF-S 35mm f/2.8 macro for mannequin shots. The macro part isn’t totally necessary, but I like being able to show the texture of fabrics in my listings.

You should be able to find used ones.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, my sister owns a D3200 and has had problems. That is why I recommended a 3300 or a 3400. There is a 3500, but I prefer its two predecessors.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I bought this one a few months ago
Zero complaints so far

That is Neewer's official store, not some random seller. Think you can buy from Amazon as well

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Powershot G7 Mark II is my go to. Once I can upgrade the lighting Ill be dumping this one.

Measurements and style listed clearly in specifics. Another one for the block list for you preemptive blockers. Always fun!

Screenshot_20191123-153212.png

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of these feedbacks is not like the other. Does anyone speak jive?

Screen Shot 2019-11-23 at 3.58.16 PM.png

haloitsme

Reaction score
1. Budget?
2. new or used?
3. go for DSLM - mirrorless cam.
4. for what u use it? Only bay? Or privat? Landscape? Night ? Etc?

__
Lightning
2-3 Octa ,
Lights -> Elinchrom dx 100 or Brx 250 . 3
Stands -> 2 up to 2.5 m height & stable
1 across
Shooting table... ? Foba Diml? Or cheap alternativ ...

All on budget ... bang for buck. ? 10k$ or 500$?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads