• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from on this but from a business point of view it is better to delete their message without responding or better yet, just shoot them a legit counteroffer. I won't spend more than a few seconds on the process either way and I'm not interested in debating pricing or getting into a little pissing contest with them.
+1, theres always the chance they made a typo and meant to offer more. I've seen some buyers jump from 10% offers to 70% offers after one counteroffer. Would also suggest not using the auto-decline feature. I disabled mine a few years back when a buyer messaged me after being autodeclined on several ties. I had it set to decline anything under $12. The guy was trying to offer me $10 on multiple ties. He ended up buying 20 or so. If he had never reached out I would never have known. I'll move 20 ties at a discount any day.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from on this but from a business point of view it is better to delete their message without responding or better yet, just shoot them a legit counteroffer. I won't spend more than a few seconds on the process either way and I'm not interested in debating pricing or getting into a little pissing contest with them.

I understand that, and if this were my business, that's what I'd do. But I just sell **** I'm done with and that's fairly insulting.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that, and if this were my business, that's what I'd do. But I just sell **** I'm done with and that's fairly insulting.

I completely understand.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update: Thank you, thread. Got my first negative feedback removed after using what I’ve learned here.

This was the guy who opened a PayPal case after eBay shot him down. He claimed a measurement was an inch off, but the measurement pic he provided (with the garment obviously finessed and twisted) was only a half inch off. He hasn’t replied to the case in days, so I’m hoping it’ll just close.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
On eBay, I generally don't reply if the buyer sends a message asking for a way lower price (typically anything below 50% of what the current price of the item is, especially because I don't have offers on any of my listings). Sold plenty of things where the buyer wanted to pay 80-90% though, which is fine with me. On Poshmark though, I've heard that if you decline offers instead of countering, you get penalized as a seller by not having your listings show up as high in search queries. I never decline on Posh, and will hit them with the $1 less move if their offer is just ridiculous. Then I block them.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On Poshmark though, I've heard that if you decline offers instead of countering, you get penalized as a seller by not having your listings show up as high in search queries. I never decline on Posh, and will hit them with the $1 less move if their offer is just ridiculous. Then I block them.

I’m curious why you sell on Poshmark. I’ve seen plenty of sellers slip photos in their listings that say Poshmark takes 20%(!!!).

Their default search is bullshit, too. I hate always having to change it to ‘newly listed’ from ‘newly shared’, which is just useless. (Why would you care if a seller just bumped her own listing?)

The prices just seem inflated with everyone expecting offers.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
I’m curious why you sell on Poshmark. I’ve seen plenty of sellers slip photos in their listings that say Poshmark takes 20%(!!!).

Their default search is bullshit, too. I hate always having to change it to ‘newly listed’ from ‘newly shared’, which is just useless. (Why would you care if a seller just bumped her own listing?)

The prices just seem inflated with everyone expecting offers.

I agree with all of your points. The search format sucks and the prices are always inflated. I really do think there's a fair amount of buyers on there that aren't using other platforms, and I've sold a good amount of CM on there for wayyy more than I would have gotten on eBay (and a fair amount of stuff that had sat on eBay for a while before I got it on Posh). I'd say my sales are 95% eBay/maybe 5% Poshmark, probably not even that much anymore, but I do think there are a fair number of eyes that are exclusive to Poshmark and are paying good money for quality items.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Woah, that’s interesting. I’ve been wondering if that’s the case. I think I’ve been looking at the wrong CM stuff.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always auto-ignored offers below 50% of the list price. No regrets so far.
This is my approach. When I do have OBO on a listing, I set an auto-decline and auto-accept at the same price, the minimum I'll take. That way I never get into any back and forth over offers.

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH, I typically do have auto-decline (though I set it at around 25% because I don't mind the back and forth)
Unsure why this one slipped through. Like Wes said above, I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was a typo. Maybe he meant $50, or $45

His counter of $6 was also accompanied with a message saying that since he got a similar shirt for $30 NWT, $6 + my $19 shipping for a total of $25 was fair for a pre-owned shirt.
So yeah, it was a serious offer. Lol

Side note - I should probably look at revising my $19 shipping charge....

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Not necessarily ebay related but PayPal is funny. They'll lend me 58k without a credit check in 3 clicks but when I wanted to take advantage of the $20 free credit from PayPal credit I applied and was denied for a $400 line. Doesn't make much sense that you'll lend me $58k on no credit check and then $400 is auto declined with a credit check.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have suggestions for how to answer given eBay’s ban on communicating outside of eBay messaging?

9905DF1E-D9F2-41B9-8CF9-DCAA9B6B42DB.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics