• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck selling on Facebook Marketplace? After my recent success getting jackets for my kids there, I just listed six jackets I scored in the thrifts on the cheap. I cross-posted then to Craigslist, but that seems like a cesspool these days.

I've sold perfume and shoes on FB. I wouldn't say it's a great platform, and it's definitely a bit more wild west than eBay. People message you at godawful hours with questions on purchases they have no real intention of making.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve listed about three pairs of shoes in the hundred dollar range (a big eBay coup for me). Am I just setting myself up for massive disappointment as shoe sizes are tricky?

I’ve included the standard caveat that I can only guarantee that I’ve listed the size appearing on the shoe — not how it will fit relative to other shoes. I want to say I can’t accept returns based on fit, but that would only seem to tip people off that they should say it’s not as described :-/

Are shoes problematic for you guys, or about the same?

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve listed about three pairs of shoes in the hundred dollar range (a big eBay coup for me). Am I just setting myself up for massive disappointment as shoe sizes are tricky?

I’ve included the standard caveat that I can only guarantee that I’ve listed the size appearing on the shoe — not how it will fit relative to other shoes. I want to say I can’t accept returns based on fit, but that would only seem to tip people off that they should say it’s not as described :-/

I’d say about the same, if not better. People should know their shoe size, which is more consistent from brand to brand than clothing sizes.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About the same. I've only sold maybe ~40 pairs in my lifetime, but have never had a return. Though, I've been very explicit when I'm not sure whether some pairs are US or UK sized, and those pairs (understandably) take a while to sell, especially with my no returns policy.

bamgrinus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I'm not a professional seller or anything, I just occasionally try to unload old clothes and shoes that I don't have room for anymore. But I haven't had any sizing complaints about shoes, and I've probably sold more than a half dozen pairs. I have had a buyer say that they wouldn't bid because I didn't offer returns (I think they were fishing for me to offer a return, but I felt like I was just asking for trouble there).

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The strange thing with FB is it blocks so many listings. I've tried to list my popular brands (Boss, Armani, etc) on there and every time they get flagged for no reason at all.
I just don't bother anymore
With that said, one of my best customers started out with him messaging me on FB, but that's anecdotal and definitely not the norm.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The strange thing with FB is it blocks so many listings. I've tried to list my popular brands (Boss, Armani, etc) on there and every time they get flagged for no reason at all.
With that said, one of my best customers started out with him messaging me on FB, but that's anecdotal and definitely not the norm.

Im just selling kids clothing there for now (Stuff that will sell here, and the extra 12% in fees might make reselling less appealing), though I might cross post a few of my outdoor clothing listings to see if they get any traction.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that too. It blocked an entire series of ties for no reason and I got no answer at all when I followed their procedure for getting the listing cleared.

A perfume group I'm on goes as far as blanking out brand names in pictures and putting D1or or Ch@nel in listings so as to not have legitimate ads blocked. Being blocked can get you suspended, so this is a pretty big flaw.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm taking a return on a women's blazer which I gave the requested measurements for. It doesn't fit..."The jacket must be made for an 18 slim. It is very much too small from top to bottom."

Yeah, that must be it. It's an 18 Slim.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure whats going on with this spike in views (some pieces were on PTO but not all of these) but I like it! Hopefully it turns into bids. The one with 2145 views is a freaking brooks brothers sweater :lol:

Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 5.51.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 5.52.44 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 5.52.56 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 5.53.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-15 at 5.53.50 AM.png

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping a listing on SF Buy and Sell: How do you do it? The instructions say there is a "Bump to the top" button but it does not exist on my screen. If I hit the edit button it gives me a blank listing form like I am starting over.

madeinbogota

Reaction score
Not sure whats going on with this spike in views (some pieces were on PTO but not all of these) but I like it! Hopefully it turns into bids. The one with 2145 views is a freaking brooks brothers sweater :lol:

View attachment 1279854 View attachment 1279855 View attachment 1279856 View attachment 1279857 View attachment 1279858

I've noticed this too. Stuff that sat for months for me with 50-100 views is now routinely getting well over 100-300 views, just in the past couple weeks since they started added more details to the listing info. My hunch is that's what's causing it (more people using the detailed search platform), but it's still been strange to see. I definitely used to check PTO anytime I had a listing spike in views and more often than not it was thanks to them, but this seems routine now ?‍♂️

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My things will sit for weeks with under thirty views. It seems like when I list new items, I magically get new watchers/purchases.... though some think that’s a conspiracy theory. :tinfoil:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads