• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I notice Grailed is now offering to authenticate things for buyers for an additional 4%. IMO, I shouldn’t have to pay to not be scammed on their web site.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Finally a legitimate return reason.

Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 7.55.13 PM.png

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice Grailed is now offering to authenticate things for buyers for an additional 4%. IMO, I shouldn’t have to pay to not be scammed on their web site.
Ehhh I kinda disagree here
You want certainty that an item is real, buy it from a store
If you're in the secondary market, I feel like the onus is on the buyer to do their own checks.
The 4% for the extra work they have to do seems fair IMO.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ehhh I kinda disagree here
You want certainty that an item is real, buy it from a store
If you're in the secondary market, I feel like the onus is on the buyer to do their own checks.
The 4% for the extra work they have to do seems fair IMO.
So that is basically an insurance policy. It means they are profiting way too much or there is something like 2%+ fake.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s like they’re admitting they do a **** job of weeding out fakes. Why pay for them to view the item in person? The RealReal has every item in their possession, and they can’t tell what’s genuine.

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea man did you guys see the article on the RealReal getting blasted by their “authenticators” saying they basically had no business authenticating items they were 100% not familiar with?

goatamous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s like they’re admitting they do a **** job of weeding out fakes. Why pay for them to view the item in person? The RealReal has every item in their possession, and they can’t tell what’s genuine.

I think in an age where knock offs are getting better and better, it's harder to put in systems that can catch everything.
There are fakes all over ebay, too. You have the same buyer protection with Grailed since payment is through PayPal
RealReal is trying to save face, too

EZB put it best
It's an insurance policy. A money grab, too.

So that is basically an insurance policy. It means they are profiting way too much or there is something like 2%+ fake.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RealReal is trying to save face, too

EZB put it best
It's an insurance policy. A money grab, too.

:lol: Yeah. I didn’t see any of the articles; I just got the email from RealReal calling them fake news, essentially. *We verify!*. (Except they don’t).

I can see these things being useful with gems or something, but at least with the things I’m looking at, they clearly don’t know dick about the brands. I would much prefer more effort centered around proper measurements, or even photographing labels so you can get a sense of how old something is.

clothesgamesmisc

Reaction score
Another pro for Poshmark is they authenticate goods purchase above $500 which is great for people like me who are offloading high end bags. Atleast I am not worried about buyer claiming its non authentic and sending me a generic bag back.

For everything else its Mercari. I think they charge 10% and cheap stuff sells quick.

Not sure if you do much womens but their authenticate sucks ass as a buyer. They let alot of very good high quality fakes slip through. Good as a seller if they deem your stuff as authentic but check out purseforum or a similar style if you want to hear about the horror stories. I've had to return something that they deemed authentic. After showing why it wasn't they refunded me and suspended the seller.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck selling on Facebook Marketplace? After my recent success getting jackets for my kids there, I just listed six jackets I scored in the thrifts on the cheap. I cross-posted then to Craigslist, but that seems like a cesspool these days.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads